Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Driveway Austin Trackday

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Driveway Austin Trackday

I took my e92M out for a trackday at Driveway Austin here in Texas last Saturday. It was windy and cloudy that day so I decided this would be a great way to spend the afternoon since wakeboarding in those conditions would be lame. There were a lot of cars out there, especially a yellow Gallardo SL, two GTRs, a 360, and a number of Z06s with assorted others as well.

My reason for posting in the GTR section is that this was the first time that I've seen one of these cars on track and they are simply EPIC! One of these GTRs was fitted with a full set of Hoosier slicks and was mindblowingly quick. I also was unaware that they are so quiet when driven at full tick (I really like this aspect of the car and wouldn't touch the exhaust if I had one). The sound coming from the SL provided a great sound track and was very quick as well.

Having my doors blown off by these guys only made my lust for a GT3 or comparable track car greater. Its got me surfing autotrader and ebay for a GT3 even more than before. However, for the money, I've yet to find a car that can perform so well on track and be as comfortable a DD as the e92M.

For any of you guys living in Texas that haven't checked out Driveway Austin, I advise you to give it a look. They have finished the track and are constructing the facilities right now. It is open to anyone as long as you take one of their competitively priced driver's training courses. This is something that I have yet to find in this part of Texas as every other track is by membership only.

Check out their site; Home | Driveway Austin and I included some sh!tty iPhone pics, as I realized when I got out there that the battery in my camera was dead. Sorry, terrible photographer + camera phone = crap pics.---JC

Attached Images        

Last edited by "The JC"; 04-27-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
I guess that I should have posted this in the Southwest section. Mods feel free to move it.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond repute
awesome pics... no pics of your car in action??

Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Like I said in my extremely excessive description the battery in my camera was dead, so I didn't feel the need to get someone to take pictures of the M3 with my camera phone. This is the only one that came out of it parked behind the vette and a sweet suburu forester STi (yes, I'm serious, it was a badass forester).

If the weather isn't terrible this weekend, I'm going to head out there with a few friends of mine and will get better pics then.

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Igor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like fun, i want to see that forester in action. I have a friend who owns a twin turbo scooby wagon.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
For any of you guys living in Texas that haven't checked out Driveway Austin, I advise you to give it a look. They have finished the track and are constructing the facilities right now. It is open to anyone as long as you take one of their competitively priced driver's training courses. This is something that I have yet to find in this part of Texas as every other track is by membership only.
I looked pretty hard at DA, as it's location is easier for me, and the Grand Prix track layout is pretty nice. In the end, when I looked at the costs, in order to get 'qualified' to run on their GP course, you're a couple of grand in fees. Thereafter, track time was something like $50-100 per half hour session, which is incredibly high. In the end, I joined Harris Hill Road, which cost me $900 to join (it's up to $2,500 now), and track time is dirt cheap. I tend to go on weekdays, and pay $60 for 2 hours of open track. $100 gets you four hours.

If you plan occasional track use, DA seems like a good choice, just don't expect to get on the good track. If you want to get serious hours in, H2R is the better solution, I think.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by PMac
I looked pretty hard at DA, as it's location is easier for me, and the Grand Prix track layout is pretty nice. In the end, when I looked at the costs, in order to get 'qualified' to run on their GP course, you're a couple of grand in fees. Thereafter, track time was something like $50-100 per half hour session, which is incredibly high. In the end, I joined Harris Hill Road, which cost me $900 to join (it's up to $2,500 now), and track time is dirt cheap. I tend to go on weekdays, and pay $60 for 2 hours of open track. $100 gets you four hours.

If you plan occasional track use, DA seems like a good choice, just don't expect to get on the good track. If you want to get serious hours in, H2R is the better solution, I think.
I've yet to drive on H2R, but everyone who belongs there makes it seem pretty great. I'm doing an event there May 23rd. The main reason I like DA is that its open to anyone, plus one of the founders and chief instructor, Bill Dollahite, takes a very hands on approach to every body who goes through the program. Yes, you don't automatically get to drive the GP track, but there's a good reason for that. I like how their program elevates you to that goal, plus the amount of beneficial practice that one gets through the program is very rewarding in itself.

If I lived full time in Austin, I'd want to join H2R, but then again if I lived full time in Houston, I'd want to join MSR (significantly more expensive though). What I'm trying to say is that being that I'm constantly traveling I don't see any point to join a track and be forced to pay monthly dues when I may or may not be able to use the facilities.
My perceptions may change when I drive H2R later this month. Either way PMac, I'll let you know what I think. --JC