Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

3 Reasons Why The New GT-R SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post 3 Reasons Why The New GT-R SUCKS!

Written by Teamspeed's good buddy Emil Rensing :

Last weekend I traded cars with Adam Bruce, one of the founders of Streetfire. We needed his GT-R to race against a rented Corvette that we put a nitrous setup in, but more on that later in the December 18th episode of Garage 419.

I’ve been driving his GT-R all weekend and it’s amazing. The steering rack is somewhat reminiscent of the Scuderia. The transmission feels like a Superleggera. The power is on-par with the Z06. The cabin is roomy like the RS6 — of course with no back seat. The styling is unlike anything else on the road.

In short, I’m really impressed with the car. It drives phenomenally well, is very comfortable for a performance car, has some pretty cool gadgets, and enough power to keep the jerk who lives down the street in the Mustang away from me.

I’m not gonna talk about driving impressions. It’s all been said. I’m not gonna do an analysis. It’s all been done. I’m not gonna tell you why it’s the best parts of a bunch of different great cars. It’s already been done.

What I am gonna do is bitch.
It seems like the popular thing to do about the GT-R. Everyone’s got their gripes, but mine are the most bitchy. So, here we go.

Bitch 1: The Paddles Are Too Small. That’s right, too small. I’m in favor of the column-mounted paddles like on the Gallardo and the Scuderia, but these paddles are WAY too short. You can’t reach them easily while turning. I can see why that’s useful for novice, idiot drivers, but I want to be able to smack those gears sideways. Of course, this brings up the obvious conclusion that the GT-R transmission, while VERY good, is not that great. It’s enjoyable to drive and probably shifts faster than I can with a 3-pedal setup, but it’s not nearly as fast as the F430, nowhere near as fast as the Scuderia, not nearly as smooth as the Porsche PDK, but it’s better than good enough. Even when they pull Launch Control from the 2010 cars.

Bitch 2: The Interior Is Odd. Fit and finish is good. The “Function” screen designed by Polyphony is sweet. But there’s something not quite right about the interior. The leather is soft and a great quality. But it’s butted next to very cheap plastic and rubber. The knobs and controls are all plastic. No carbon fiber or aluminum? The driver’s seat has power adjustments… but no memory. What? The memory switch too heavy? There are 6 knobs. 6. 2 on the radio. 3 on the climate control 1 for the screen. What the hell is that? Why are there so many? Can’t we do the same thing with maybe 3? Or 1. My Audi has 2 knobs. 1 is the volume. The other is everything else. Then there’s the “R” buttons. Why are there 3? Why can’t there be a comfort and sport button? Way too many buttons. And knobs. It’s really, really stupid.

Bitch 3 The UI Integration. When I’m rolling down the road like a Gangsta behind the wheel of my GT-R, I don’t want the volume display to cover up more of the driver’s screen than it should. That’s right, the Nissan designed interface follows different rules than the Polyphony designed interface. Here’s a picture of the bottom of the gauges getting cut off while adjusting the volume. How the hell am I supposed to know which gauge is the engine oil temperature when I’m trying to blast my Coolio tracks?!? I might get confused and slow down when I mistake the coolant temperature for the engine oil temperature. Just unacceptable — what a piece of crap!

That being said, Bernie at Universal City Nissan tells me that the GT-R is still fetching a premium over MSRP. A quick search of Craigslist via Search All Craigs will let you pull up almost a dozen GT-Rs available for MSRP… Not sure if Bernie is smoking crack or just living in some sort of crumbling fantasy, but the Gun Metal on Black GT-R that’s for sale at MSRP in Illinois looks very, very tempting and would be a welcome addition to my stable, even though it’s clearly a car with an inferior transmission, too many knobs, and poor interface integration design that goes blindingly fast.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Emil, I love the review, you definitely sound like a whiny b*tch and it's hilarious.

As for the GT-R fetching a premium at that dealer in LA-- I call BS. Total BS. Prove it!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Always fun with a different sort of review!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
Emil, I love the review, you definitely sound like a whiny b*tch and it's hilarious.

As for the GT-R fetching a premium at that dealer in LA-- I call BS. Total BS. Prove it!
I can... i live 5 min from that dealership, and they are asking waaaay over sticker. They have a gunmetal on black sitting in the show room, and they will not budge on the premium they are asking.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thedude
I can... i live 5 min from that dealership, and they are asking waaaay over sticker. They have a gunmetal on black sitting in the show room, and they will not budge on the premium they are asking.
You are correct they're "ASKING" way over MSRP but are they really selling any at that price?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
Not liking the GTR will void the warranty of your GTR.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
You are correct they're "ASKING" way over MSRP but are they really selling any at that price?
You are correct... they are asking for a hefty premium. Are they getting it? I have no idea, but aint gonna be from me.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Teamspeed's World Racer
EmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond reputeEmilGH has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thedude
You are correct... they are asking for a hefty premium. Are they getting it? I have no idea, but aint gonna be from me.
They most certainly are NOT getting it. I found about a half-dozen a few weeks ago on Search All Craigs. Took about a day to contact all the sellers. New cars. Never titled. Delivery miles.

I offered the guy at Universal City to sell the 6 GT-Rs I was about to buy at MSRP and split the overage and I never heard back from him. :-/

I've not yet bought a GT-R. With all that's happening in the world there's a lot of interesting cars out there. Not sure what my next move is (R8? GT-R? ZR1? 599?) but it's gonna be something!

Glad you liked the piece. Was trying to write a little something different...

Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the write-up, Darren and Emil.

I love that the GT-R is still on your short list.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Haha good review!

Quick Reply: 3 Reasons Why The New GT-R SUCKS!