Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

10+ y/o bike, parts and upgrades?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
10+ y/o bike, parts and upgrades?

Alright, I'm gonna make good use of this subforum, since I am completely out of touch with today's offerings!

Here's my current bike, that I've had since ... errr ... since 1998, I think? So it's at least 14 years old. Yikes. I have never done anything to it other than very basic maintenance, and yet it keeps on working great.

Name:  JtUfW.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  122.8 KB

I'm moving, and my new commute is a gorgeous 15min bike ride. Get out the front door, ride along a canal, get to the Old Montreal port, little side street, office. Bam. Beats the horrendous metro every time. Also, explains the road-ish tires. The knobbies were just ridiculous.

So here I am thinking I should be nice to the bike and do plenty of maintenance since I'm going to ride 10km daily. And I could do some upgrades while I'm at it.

And this is where it gets tricky with such old components, also doesn't help that I bought it as is and don't know all the details.
I'd like to get new brake pads ... I know they're Hope, hydraulic, measure 25mmx35mm, have 2 attachment holes on top 20mm apart. Hope C2 seems to be it, but I'm not sure.
Internet photo of what they look like, can't find dimensions for certainty.

The forks are tricky. They're Judy DH, which makes them non-rebuildable as far as I've seen?
If I'm to replace them (for air!), I don't want to *uck up the geometry, but can't seem to find fork length listed anywhere. They are ~460mm from wheel to top of clamp.
Non threaded 1-1/8 (or 1", not sure, will have to double check) stem.
My issue then comes from the brake compatibility ... right now it's an old school ghetto setup (works well though!).
Not sure how I can ensure the new forks will play with my old caliper ... do all sorts of adapters exist?

My fear is that by changing forks, compatibility would make me change rotor, hub, caliper, m/c and goddam everything. I'd rather not.

Shock otoh seems quite straightforward, 165mm length. I'll probably replace it with an air shock with lockout if I can?

The reason I'm thinking air forks and shock is mostly comfort, and I love how air springs feel. Keep in mind this poor bike is now relegated to commuting duties, with the odd weekend out on the trails.

So? Ride it til the wheels fall off, or upgrade?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Without a doubt, upgrade to a new bike

Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
No no, the bike as a whole is staying. The conundrum is between ride til the wheels fall off, or maintain/upgrade bits here and there.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Maitre_Absolut You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
i thought you moved to france

Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut
i thought you moved to france
Nope! As it turned out, Montreal>France for everything but holidays!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
The hipster in me (normally tucked into the deepest, darkest corners of my inner psyche) loves that bike. Definitely upgrade parts if you can or just keep it as is, maintain it, and ride the shit out of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
Nope! As it turned out, Montreal>France for everything but holidays!
Excellent

And good to see you out on the bike path...im starting back up my daily Dorval to old port and back routine SOON...might see ya out there!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
If it were up to me (and there were no choice of picking up another bike to ride instead) I'd just ride it till it dies. You'd buy 1 part, and then realize you need another, and another, and another, and before you know it you'd have a 14 year old frame with nice components when you probably could have picked up a 2 year old commuter set up from Craigslist.

Now, if you do ride it til it dies, save up and have a few hundred bucks available to pick up a single speed / fixed gear, throw on some 28c tires, and some racks and you'd be set.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by McRae
Excellent

And good to see you out on the bike path...im starting back up my daily Dorval to old port and back routine SOON...might see ya out there!
From Dorval? Now that's a workout and a half!

My commute is 15mins tops door to door. Out the front door on the Canal @ Charlevoix, and up Rue du Port for a minute. I usually GTFO work around 5:30, we should go grab beers at some point!

Originally Posted by vltsai
If it were up to me (and there were no choice of picking up another bike to ride instead) I'd just ride it till it dies. You'd buy 1 part, and then realize you need another, and another, and another, and before you know it you'd have a 14 year old frame with nice components when you probably could have picked up a 2 year old commuter set up from Craigslist.
That's exactly my fear! So far it's going well, so there's nothing wrong in riding it until I make up my mind.
If I'm commuting mostly, I'll probably go hard tail.

Last edited by Zorro; 04-17-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
From Dorval? Now that's a workout and a half!

My commute is 15mins tops door to door. Out the front door on the Canal @ Charlevoix, and up Rue du Port for a minute. I usually GTFO work around 5:30, we should go grab beers at some point!
Its a SERIOUS good workout bout hour 15 to 45 depending on traffic from other bikers and speed i go at and wind so on so forth...

Been meaning to cop a pinte or more at the St-Ambroise terrase along the path...you know what im takin about right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10+ y/o bike, parts and upgrades?