Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche suspends 911 GT3 deliveries after spate of fires

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Clyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Porsche suspends 911 GT3 deliveries after spate of fires

Porsche suspends 911 GT3 deliveries after spate of fires [Update] | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

Seems as though Porsche has its hands full with burning GT3s

Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
We have a thread on that already. But it's not good.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by GTCole
We have a thread on that already. But it's not good.
Oh I hadn't noticed. Its too bad that what has potential to be such a great car could be marred by something like this. Reminds me of the Lamborghini Miura for some reason, because that was prone to fires. I also recall that when the Lamborghini Aventador was originally released there was some question of some encountering spontaneous combustion as well. A real shame.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Just to help your thread along, I have a buddy with a new GT3. He had trouble right off the bat with the tranny. Like it was dropping a gear or something. Did it often. Lost power, etc. Then I sent him the article. He parked the car at the dealer. LOL.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm seeing some 991 GT3's selling for $180k when they're priced out at $150k. I don't think they're happy at all with this news, lol.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I bet that changes with the news out. But generally this happens with some of the heavy Porsche's

Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
another happy day in the porsche fam...

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
I am sure Porsche will have a fix in the works for their customers when they figure out what's happening. They want to maintain their customer base for these cars and they are a responsible company, it wouldn't be good for their future sales if they don't offer something. The question is, when will they figure out what the problem is, and how involved is the fix?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Here's some good news. I saw this update from another chat forum thread:

"Here is the official word from Porsche. Rumors arent all true....
There was a case with one car in Switzerland. Production was not stopped but there was a stop sale on the ones that are on their way to the US and in dealer inventory now.
The stop sale is on until each dealer inspects the GT3’s for any fault codes and once they pass they are ok for delivery.
We have to send the inspection results to Germany and once they say all clear we can release them."

Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Oops! Perhaps my last post was made too soon? Here is the latest:
Apparently Porsche are recalling the 991 GT3 according to Bloomberg:

"Porsche Recalls High-Performance 911 GT3 After Fires"

20 February 2014 (Bloomberg) -- Porsche AG is recalling the 911 GT3 sports car and advising owners not to use the high-performance model after two vehicles caught fire following an engine failure.

The recall affects all 785 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles from the current model year, the Stuttgart, Germany-based automaker said in a statement. The price of the GT3 version of the iconic 911 starts at 137,303 euros ($188,000).

“There have been no accidents or personal injuries,” the Volkswagen AG brand said in the statement. “The internal examinations of the reason for the engine failures aren’t finalized yet.” The two vehicle fires happened in Europe.

Recalls in recent months by carmakers, including VW, Chrysler Group LLC and Toyota Motor Corp., highlight the challenges of adding increasingly sophisticated technology to new models.

Porsche Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller said this month that the marque plans to exceed 200,000 in annual deliveries in 2015, three years earlier than first targeted, on demand for the Macan compact sport-utility vehicle going on sale later this year. Porsche’s deliveries rose 15 percent to a record 162,145 vehicles in 2013 as demand for the Boxster and Cayman models more than doubled.

Source: Bloomberg