Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Harris Drives The Porsche 918 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
In the end, I was smiling watching that video as Chris said he was every time he stepped out of it. Its cars with this performance that ignite my addiction and uncontrollable passion for cars. Most modded super cars these days hope to do a quarter mile in 10.5 seconds at 135mph. This does 124 in under 8 seconds, so probably a 8 second quarter, what would that feel like????
Its not going to run a 8 second quarter unless the last half is off a cliff.

Their are limits to traction and the weight of the modern cars that preclude any street car made today from getting there.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I think the fact that Chris is able to give his true opinion on camera, whether it be positive or negative, directly in front of the engineers who have spent years working on this project, is what separates him from the rest. He doesn't try to sugar coat anything.

The only problem I could see was that he based too much of his opinion of it vs. the competition on acceleration times. He didn't really consider the whole corners thing, and lap times.

Now usually I think acceleration times and lap times are completely and utterly useless, but in this rare case I think they actually are of some importance due to the fact that this is an ultimate battle between Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche for bragging rights of having the fastest, best looking, and most technologically advanced production road car in history.

I just wish one of them could realize all they need to do to win the competition is as simple as having nothing but a steering wheel, and engine, and a manual gearbox engineered to absolute perfection. I guess Porsche kind of did this with the RS 4.0, and they did gain much praise, but imagine what could be done if they focused an entire platform on such a simple recipe. Unfortunately, this is all fairly land and pixie dust talk, and the days of real, no nannies, "manly" super cars are a thing of the recent past.

Sorry for the ranting on, but in all honesty, I think the biggest problem with this car is that they just keep dragging it out, and dragging it out. There is absolutely no element o surprise. When the concept car was initially unveiled nobody had the slightest idea, and the car was endlessly praised. Now Porsche is pulling a GT5 and they keep publicly embarrassing themselves by changing statistics, making a marketing mess, and looking desperate for sales. Something tells me if they would have had all of their ducks in a row, then unveiled the car in its full glory, they would have no problem selling the first half to people around the world who have to have the latest and greatest, which this car unfortunately doesn't seem the be any longer as we already know all the details yet it hasn't even been unveiled...

Last edited by Carrera; 05-18-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
OTOH: I just thought of a great way for all of us to get rich quick right here on TS. We all pitch in a few million dollars and buy the remaining 300 918's they won't sell. We then take out all the tech/batteries/electric motors, toss some salvage yard Carrera GT transmissions in there, then sell them at triple the cost. What a flawless business plan.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

I can see you've really thought this through.

Have Porsche flat out called this their rival to the McLaren/LF? Or is this more of a Veyron moment for Porka?

Cheers,
Nik

Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by theprotest
Hi,

I can see you've really thought this through.

Have Porsche flat out called this their rival to the McLaren/LF? Or is this more of a Veyron moment for Porka?

Cheers,
Nik
I don't believe they have, but they would have to be more foolish than I think not realize that the only two other cars in the world this will be compared with are the P1 and LaFerrari (and I'm almost 100% certain they keep changing the stats because now they know what Ferrari and Macca are bringing to the table, and they are adapting)

I still very much like the 918 and would choose it out of the 3, and I still think it has a lot of potential to beat those cars on the track, but it is just slightly annoying how their marketing team is handling the entirety of this car. Not too long ago Porsche had fantastic marketing but this is just embarrassing.

Last edited by Carrera; 05-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond repute
Do you even shift, bro?

Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
patrick95 is on a distinguished roadpatrick95 is on a distinguished road
Carrera, they are not changing the specs according to the competition. All the acceleration figures and so on they had released before were bullshit, they wouldn't unveil all the acceleration numbers of the car before the competitors, would they? And we don't expect them to. Also I'm expecting the specs to change in September as well, those numbers they unveiled now are for the pre-production model I believe.

Last edited by patrick95; 05-19-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura about
Agreed with maxtheone!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
EPTXCarlover is an unknown quantity at this point
Judging from this video, what I find most annoying is that the car runs with zero engine sound at low speeds. I like passion in my cars at all times. Even at low speeds there should be wonderful noise. The more I see this car evolve, the more it turns me off.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
problem solved if they make 91.8 of them instead of 918. lol

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Drives The Porsche 918 Spyder