Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 RS 4.0 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Hi Dolan,

From the 2 RS 3.8 failures I know of the reason was the following: some part/screw/clips or whatever got loose from the throttle valve - then got sucked in the engine resulting in unfortunate complete engine failure.

So it wasnt the engine itself..the throttle part is from one of Porsches suppliers...

Regarding the 4.0 failures I cannot say anything..maybe there was a similar reason..I dont know..but usually these engines are bullet proof..they are used for one complete season in the carrera cup etc..and some even much much longer..

Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Hi GT Cole,

the other day I visited one of the first pages of the thread here "GT2 picture thread"..I saw you owned a GT2..or? If so - I would be very much interested in your comparison on the two cars.....eg. as both offer about 500HP...the GT2 is however close to 550 in stock mode..but heavier..a little - very little turbo lag etc..I guess its more brutal..right?..

PS: I own a GT3 and GT2 997...however my 997 GT3 is not an RS..neither 4.0..so it lacks about 70 HP to yours..

thanks

Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
After many hours scouring the interwebz I've just discovered a major issue with the 4.0...

I STILL DON'T HAVE ONE GAWD DAMN IT!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura about
Around 2500 miles on mine, no issues at all. In fact, it doesn't bleed oil in the garage like my 3.6 GT3RS did so I take it as an improvement. We won't mention the air cooled models...

Being in the industry and having built successful race engines myself, I'd suspect there is more to this story.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
^If the air-cooled cars don't leak at least a little oil, something's wrong

Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 AM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
That's odd, mine doesn't leak a drop of the synthetic oil I run. Just burns it up

Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
RACINGER is an unknown quantity at this point
More than 8000kms and no problem but never on race track and don't forget that a GT3 RS 4.0L isn't race car...just a super road car....

Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I only know of one with 3000k miles that has been tracked 15 days or so, no problem.
The others I know are collecting dust...
Damn, 3,000 thousand miles is like, a lot.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RACINGER
More than 8000kms and no problem but never on race track and don't forget that a GT3 RS 4.0L isn't race car...just a super road car....

Finally someone gets it......they are all super road cars,.. Scuderia, GT3 of any type...these are in no way shape or form race cars they are street cars that are
very capable and you can run them on both but more so a street car.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond reputeghostrider has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone is having issues and wants to get rid of theirs, i would willing to trade my 3.8 for your 4.0.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 problems?