Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 + Track = Fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
savyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slavik
is that stock exhaust? sounds pretty good if so.
Yes, stock. It sounds awesome.

Originally Posted by woppum
Nice angle. Not as nice as the blue one (still have mine! ). How do you find the performance compared to the 3.8?
Huge flexible powerband. You can rev it or let it pull like a big block, doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by JC919
That track looks like a lot of fun, how long is it?
Nearly 4 miles (!) (Reno Fernley Raceway Track Information, Track Facts and Configurations)

Awesome, mostly unknown, hugely under-appreciated track. Off camber turns, blind corners, lots of elevation change, ultra-technical back section, wild horses roaming the area, safe.

It is my local track and I love running there. Took first place in Time Trials in my class for this year there with SCCA.

Oh- it is also at approx 5000 foot altitude so reduces horsepower by approx 18-22%

Originally Posted by DBV
Looks like fun! Was this Chuckwalla Raceway?
Reno-Fernley Raceway: Welcome to the Official Website of Reno Fernley Raceway - Under New Management

Originally Posted by woppum
So much run off, looks great fun.
You have your window open on track, does it not feel like the rear plastic window is going to fall out. Mine shakes to buggery when I have it open.
Yes, good run-off although there are some big rocks out there if you go too far off. I only know of one crash in two years and that was the drivers fault for red-misting into a high speed brake zone while trying to pass another driver.

Pretty much all hosts require windows down when on track. Don't forget, here in the USA we don't get the plastic windows, all glass. Never had any issues with the glass windows shaking?

Originally Posted by GTCole
Attaboy Savygirl

Originally Posted by bonehead
Great vid! And what the hell was that thing at 4:05 doing on the track??
Haha, we have a great variety of cars that run here locally. That was a '65 Ford Falcon if I am not mistaken. Makes life interesting and they are having fun just like I am. Everyone is respectful on track which makes for a low stress track day.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Pete,

Great video as usual. I also want to know your comparison between 4.0, 3.8, and GT2RS.
It's all in the powerband of the motors. Honestly not much otherwise to compare.

1. 3.8- perfectly linear power but really needs to be revved out to redline. Not much bottom end torque.
2. 3.6 turbo- weak bottom end but not a big deal around town. With cold ambient air, power delivery becomes explosive as the turbos spool up under WOT. A real challenge to drive on track because of this but unlike a 3.8, it will pass anything but a full on race car on the straights.
3. 4.0- Gigantically wide powerband. Lots of bottom end torque, yet it it has a higher redline than 3.8 and makes power all the way to it. A joy to drive around town or on track due to the flexibility and perfectly linear power delivery. It will pull 6th gear from 1700 rpm with no complaints, the 3.8 won't do that.

Last edited by savyboy; 12-08-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by savyboy
It will pull 6th gear from 1700 rpm with no complaints, the 3.8 won't do that.
Are you saying I cannot keep up with you anymore?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Looks you had a great time! Enjoy it!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche should use that video as a "how to break in you GT3 properly". Nice to see you having some fun whit it!!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
modenaboy will become famous soon enoughmodenaboy will become famous soon enoughmodenaboy will become famous soon enoughmodenaboy will become famous soon enoughmodenaboy will become famous soon enoughmodenaboy will become famous soon enoughmodenaboy will become famous soon enoughmodenaboy will become famous soon enough
Awesome vid, a lot of fun to watch - great angle and driving was superb, a treat to spectate close up.

I noticed the blue car at the beginning had flashing lights (first car you passed) - is that how the brake lights work?

-- Gordie

Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Great video!