Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First trackday with the 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the rough
Arrow First trackday with the 4.0

mug12novT3g2.mpeg - YouTube

First trackday with the 4.0

Last Saturday I did my first track-day with 4.0 at Mugello circuit so I could finally test drive the car in the ‘right habitat’ and doing comparison with my previous 997 Gt3 mk1.

What I liked more are engine (really stunning – never ending in high revs and robust torque at lows), better stability at high speed (aero works) and brakes (always exceptional, even at very high speed thanks to aero).

On the other hand I was slightly disappointed since 4.0 is a more track oriented car than my previous Gt3 so I expected more agility and re-activeness, which i didn’t find.

To be sincere I didn’t like the tyres, they are surely better than first gen. mpsc made for gt3 mk1, but I do believe they do not offer same grip and balance as I found with Pzero corsa’s I used to run in the past. Saturday I always felt the car not very balanced, with a very weak equilibrium between front and rear axle, oversteering or understeering…very tough to keep the car “flat” to get a neutral behaviour.

Honestly I must say that I’ve not been driving on track since January and that I missed Mugello (which is a quite demanding track in terms of driving skills) since April 2009, so I probably did mistakes and I need time to understand the car, but I would like to know other members impressions with their 4.0’s.

Here you can find a video of one of my laps (one of the very few with no traffic).

Cheers,

Old 11-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Man that thing sounds so good, looks right at home on the track. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Any pics from the track btw?

Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the roughondegas is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DJ
Any pics from the track btw?
I didn't take any sorry

Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
did u go to the track right from the office? love the shirt.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
its amazing how well i know that track just from playing Forza. did you do a proper track alignment before, that can make a huge difference on the balance of the car.

also, gotta break the habit of leaving your hand on the shifter like your taking a sunday cruise. haha

Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice...even made it into 6th gear on the straight.....

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
GT3RS is on a distinguished roadGT3RS is on a distinguished road
Totally agree regarding checking the geo, even if it left the factory accurately set, it will almost certainly be out once the car has settled. Mine was when I had it checked. JZM look after my cars and when they check the 4.0 ran a different geo to the 3.8 more camber and less castor. It is impossible to get a set-up that works perfectly for both road and track, so I kept it close to standard with just about another 1/2 degree of camber. Like most cars a little experimentation will be needed to get the ideal configuration, and even this will vary track to track if you are really serious.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 20C4S
did u go to the track right from the office? love the shirt.
Italians are stylish folk, even on the track

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
SSR
Teamspeed Member
SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I had corner balanaced 4 new .7 1-2 RS and they all came very bad from factory.
I recommend corner balancing in a good shop and installing rear solid suspension links.

Quick Reply: First trackday with the 4.0