Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first mod - Hint: Switzer Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
My first mod - Hint: Switzer Tune

This all started when I expressed an "urge to mod" in one of the threads here. I received a PM from Neil Switzer the same day explaining that they have various options for the GT2. After a bit of back-and-forth, I decided that the first mod would be a tune. We agreed, money exchanged hands, and the goods were sent. Along with the softronic cable, I went for a BMC drop-in filter. A week later I noticed a box on my dining table upon returning from work and it had "the stuff".

So the next day I picked up a car battery charger (a must according to Switzer) and proceeded to download my stock tune. Followed the steps laid out in the instructions I received from Ethan @ Switzer and it was a piece of cake. 20 mins or so later the software had automatically downloaded my stock tune and sent it to Ethan. Meanwhile I installed the drop-in filter which took me all of 5 mins.

The instructions I received say it takes 1 to 2 business days to receive the tune file, maybe more, so I was shocked when I woke up 8 hours later to find the tune sitting in my inbox I called my buddy who owns and runs a local dyno (M&M Dyno) and booked him for 8.30pm the same day.

Got back from work and packed up all my stuff and headed to the dyno. My plan was to do a stock run, upload the tune and do another run. You will notice there are no torque figures since I was a stickler and didn't want the guys to mess around inside the car. We strapped the car in and did a stock run. I was running a 50/50 mix of pump gas and Torco 103.

This was the result:

I was happy with that since the first run I did when I bought the car yielded 497whp. The difference is due to the gas mix and maybe a bit from the filter. The wide-band sensor flew off at the end of the first run and left a small scratch on the exhaust.

Now! Time to upload the tune. I was nervous since I know some people had security lock issues after uploading a tune and the instructions I received from Switzer had a lot of red font and plenty of exclamation marks. Anyway, proceeded to link the battery charger, connect the cable, check the internet connection, run the software and wait. 5 minutes later, I was done. Now comes the fun part! We ran the car almost 30 mins after the first run, so it didn't have sufficient time to really cool down. This was the result:

Needless to say, I'm happy AND impressed. Plus the drive home was smooth as silk. Did manage to floor it in second gear and it felt like the car wanted to devour the road. Absolute beast. I am a happy customer

Thanks to Neil and Ethan at Switzer. They were super helpful!

PS. These are blackberry pix. Very annoyed I forgot my Nikon D90!

Here are a few more pix:

Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool. It's good to hear about customers results rather than always relying on what the tuner's "claim".

I wonder what the results would be for a car on pump gas rather then race fuel.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Neil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant future
Thanks for posting Abdullatif! You have a strong runner on your hands now, be safe out there!

Pump gas numbers would be very similar, however the difference really shows when you are out driving hard in the heat, the race fuel gives you that extra level of knock resistance.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
EA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura aboutEA67 has a spectacular aura about
Nice write up with a great mod to start with ! thats a good jump you've got .. thanks to Switzer how many bar are you getting? same as stock 1.4 or more?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Am I the only one who was expecting more power

512 stock vs 543 (tune) ?

Congrats

Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
^ I think stock was 497 and 512 was octane + BMC. But still, I expected a tad more. Then again, there's more to peak numbers, but we can't see the graph nor TQ.

Congrats!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
I knew it wouldn't take long before you started modding. solid results Bro, enjoy it in good health.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
I find these to be great real world numbers from a tune. Rather then a dyno that has super cold air being blown in.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Neil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant futureNeil Switzer has a brilliant future
Tune alone is worth approximately 45HP and 35ft/lbs at the flywheel, also, I believe the first pull was done with the high flow filter in place according to the post.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great stuff, thanks for posting!

Quick Reply: My first mod - Hint: Switzer Tune