Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's Ambitious Future Plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Teamspeed Member
SirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really nice
Post Porsche's Ambitious Future Plans

I was reading CAR magazine online and they are "scooping" Porsche news all week. According to them Porsche has a lot of good stuff for us on the horizon including a new super car called the 960 due out in 2015!

Porsche is developing a new mid-engined supercar slap bang in Ferrari 458 Italia territory. Don't confuse this with the range-topping Porsche - the new Porsche 960 supercar will sit below the new 918 hybrid hypercar but above the maximum-attack 911s at launch in 2015.

Codenamed project 960, Porsche's new mid-engined supercar is now likely to be based on the VW Group's new Mimo platform which will eventually supersede the rear-engined 911 package.

Originally, Porsche had scoped out the existing 9X1/991/911 hardware for its new 458 fighter, but this plan has now been dropped. Only a bespoke, mid-engined architecture is deemed worthy of a car expected to top out at around £200,000.
They also note in another article all the new 991 variations which include plans for a speedster and targa version. They say to expect the 2013 Turbo to spot 520hp as well.

For late 2013 or early 2014, the Weissach oracle is predicting the replacement for the 911 Targa. After three generations of sandwich-glass-sunroof would-be targas, the designers are for project 991 reverting to the original roof concept. No, we're not talking MkI with a zip-out perspex rear window and a rigid mid-section which would not fit in the boot. Instead, product planning wants to recreate the MkII targa which featured a folding rermovable top and a heated glass backlight.

The most prominent design detail of this classic Porsche roof treatment was the substantial roll bar available in anodized silver or matte black.

The new 911 Targa may even be joined by a new 991 Speedster. Although this model has not yet been confirmed, design has mocked up a chopped-screen 911 which could sell well in sunny climes such as LA and the Middle East.
And last but not least a Panamera Coupe due out in 2016, called the Pajun?

That'll be Pajun, short for Panamara Junior. Yes - that's right. It's a shrunken limo and will be launched in 2016. The new model range is to be derived from an advanced architecture known as MSB, modular rear-wheel (or all-wheel) drive matrix. MSB will be developed in Weissach for Porsche, Bentley and Lamborghini models.

To tie in with the launch of the state-of-the-art rear-wheel drive platform, the sports car maker is preparing a new family of modular V6 and V8 petrol engines as well as a plug-in hybrid package which will be offered alongside a V6 diesel.

Porsche is currently mulling over an array of Pajun models, including saloon, convertible, Pajun coupé and even a shooting brake. There will be Pajuns aplenty!

Once Pajun is in full swing, the output of Porsche should exceed 200,000 units per year.
Here are the links to all the reports:

Porsche scoop special: Porsche 991 future derivatives | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online

Porsche scoop special: Porsche Pajun (2016) | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online

Porsche scoop special: Porsche 960 supercar (2015) | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online

Last edited by SirSpeedy7; 09-27-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
I like this midengine talk.

There is no reason why something from the 991 could not be a competitor, or conquerer, of the 458.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
I'd love to see a Porsche that looks exactly like that rendering happen!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I like this midengine talk.

There is no reason why something from the 991 could not be a competitor, or conquerer, of the 458.
The problem is that for that to happen, the price would almost certainly creep up to 458 levels too, and who wants to pay $300k+ for a 911?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
dxpetrov is an unknown quantity at this point
Easily many people! That's current problem with Porsche - they don't have anything at 458 level!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM
lgl
Teamspeed Member
lgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura about
Agree.. And I drive one!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Pajun, Cajun. :facepalm:

Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 PM
lgl
Teamspeed Member
lgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DJ
I'd love to see a Porsche that looks exactly like that rendering happen!
So, it's may be not the 961 but the 960! Still a mid-engine sequential gear box with paddle shifts. That's was my point to member Carrera. I know from a close Porsche official team ( winner of Le Mans Séries and just back from Portugal ) it's going to be it and, I tell you, they feel the heat from those 458's. They need it! This being said, I may be in the process to buy one 997 GT3R racing car... with paddle shifts..

Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Good to hear this news. I only hope Porsche doesn't cut corners & costs on whatever engine they give the 960.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
The future certainly looks bright! They should drop the Pajun in favor of a new 928 though... But, smaller is usually better, so I bet the Pajun will be a better car than the Panamera.
Originally Posted by ktvegas
Pajun, Cajun. :facepalm:
Those aren't the official names. Just the current nicknames being used by corporate. The final products will have different names.

Quick Reply: Porsche's Ambitious Future Plans