Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT Composite CF Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ogaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond repute
One thing is repairing it to the initial shape.

But I don't think that will work structurally. I'm pretty sure that in months time the paint will show stretch marks.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ogaleicrum
One thing is repairing it to the initial shape.

But I don't think that will work structurally. I'm pretty sure that in months time the paint will show stretch marks.
Why is that? People have been repairing carbon for a long time, often times making it as strong or stronger than stock. Knowing people that have worked with carbon for a long time I have no doubt that someone with the right skills could repair this damage and have it be totally transparent once painted.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pinned
Why is that? People have been repairing carbon for a long time, often times making it as strong or stronger than stock. Knowing people that have worked with carbon for a long time I have no doubt that someone with the right skills could repair this damage and have it be totally transparent once painted.
Exactly! And the guys who did this obviously know what they're doing, and the repair was a 100% success. Restoring it to almost new. There just won't be any shiny carbon fiber when you open the door.

A similar repair from Porsche probably would have cost $150k.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I'm still stuck on the 2 x 4 cribbing as a lift

Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 AM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
No shiny cf door sills? That's a shame.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ressy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the rough
I did not know CF can be "repared"... I always thought you need to change the whole part...

Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Gunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=Carrera;1071332]I don't understand why people don't find this awesome. If you really look into the pictures, the repair was a 100% success. The door, rocker, and chassis were all damaged, and repaired back to near new condition. QUOTE]

Because this site has a real negativity to it. To many haters posting. In this thread and many like it.

I agree with you that this is pretty cool and Kudos to the owner for not writing it off! Kudos to you for sharing this!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if there is going to be a new segment or market niche created for carbon repair with all these new carbon tub'ed supercars rolling off of production lines.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
If it means I can pick it up for next to nothing, sure, great work, but otherwise, I wouldn't touch that car even if I had MikeS money...

I'd want that thing fully strip searched and scanned by Porsche before I'd consider driving it.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Cowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the roughCowtown10 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by fone phreak
I'm still stuck on the 2 x 4 cribbing as a lift
Same
That would be the first red flag

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Composite CF Repair