Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche returns to Le Mans in 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
lgl
Teamspeed Member
lgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Carrera
Even more so in two years... Do you know if the 991 RSR will be ready in time for the 2013 24 Hours of Le Mans? The 997 seems to be becoming outclassed very quickly.
You bet! I hate it, but the the 997 RSR 2012 specs is not up to the task... Talk to Long, Berg, Pillet, Narac and others...
On the Cup side what is confirmed: the 997 2013 is on. The 991 version will start on the Super Cup Series (F1 races events) then, the 2014 991 Carrera Cup cars. What Porsche told me is that they were waiting for the RSR results to decide what's next. To me, seeing the results in ALMS, ELMS & GT Open facing 458s and co, the NEXT is on!!!
Stiil recovering I'll get back to you in a PM on a tough 2012 Le Mans...

Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM
lgl
Teamspeed Member
lgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura about
Just wanted to add this on Le Mans 2013 & 14: this year the GT2 Pro class with 9 cars ( in which were 4 Ferrari 458) was ridiculous. The ACO and FIA has to decide what to do with the GT class. Will they accept GT3 ? I doubt it with the groving difference of LMP1 perfos and the safety risks with pro-am & so called Gentlemen Drivers ( accidents last year with Audi and this year with Toyota). This will of course impact greatly series around the world ALMS, ELMS and the futur Asian LMS and obviously the WEC. My personal grain of salt: just do one GT serie (mix of GT1 and 2). Just a touhgt...

Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed about the GT class. It was fine when they had "GT2", but they're just trying to stretch it out too much now in the wake of GT1 being gone. I liked it when it was a simple, LMP1, LMP2, GT1, GT2.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lgl
You bet! I hate it, but the the 997 RSR 2012 specs is not up to the task... Talk to Long, Berg, Pillet, Narac and others...
On the Cup side what is confirmed: the 997 2013 is on. The 991 version will start on the Super Cup Series (F1 races events) then, the 2014 991 Carrera Cup cars. What Porsche told me is that they were waiting for the RSR results to decide what's next. To me, seeing the results in ALMS, ELMS & GT Open facing 458s and co, the NEXT is on!!!
Stiil recovering I'll get back to you in a PM on a tough 2012 Le Mans...
Hi LGL,

well - earlier on you said that IMSA lost the 1st position just due to a tire problem 15 min befofe the end..so it cant be that bad.

To be honest, 2 years ago, everybody was afraid of the 458..that it would dust the 997 GT3RSR..that hasnt really happened when you look at the average outcomes from the last years. Even the 458 had after a very promising start some problems ..

A few weeks at the 24h Nürburgring, there was the same talking, everybody was saying the Mclaren would outclass everybody else. That didnt happen either.

In fact in Le Mans, it seems that the corvette was the biggest contender for the Porsche (like in the last years). Where were: Audi R8, Aston Martin, Mclaren, Ferrari 458 ect?

Yes, life hasnt certainly got easier for the Porsche 997 GT3RSR..but its not dead either - by far not.

So - whatever happens - lets hope Porsche will be strong enough to compete..whether it will be 997 RSR or 991 RSR..

PS: I dont think a 991 RSR would be able to win straight away..Ferrari, Aston etc..are not sleeping either...its a constant battle..

bien a toi,

Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
lgl
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by jumping_horse
Hi LGL,

well - earlier on you said that IMSA lost the 1st position just due to a tire problem 15 min befofe the end..so it cant be that bad.

To be honest, 2 years ago, everybody was afraid of the 458..that it would dust the 997 GT3RSR..that hasnt really happened when you look at the average outcomes from the last years. Even the 458 had after a very promising start some problems ..

A few weeks at the 24h Nürburgring, there was the same talking, everybody was saying the Mclaren would outclass everybody else. That didnt happen either.

In fact in Le Mans, it seems that the corvette was the biggest contender for the Porsche (like in the last years). Where were: Audi R8, Aston Martin, Mclaren, Ferrari 458 ect?

Yes, life hasnt certainly got easier for the Porsche 997 GT3RSR..but its not dead either - by far not.

So - whatever happens - lets hope Porsche will be strong enough to compete..whether it will be 997 RSR or 991 RSR..

PS: I dont think a 991 RSR would be able to win straight away..Ferrari, Aston etc..are not sleeping either...its a constant battle..

bien a toi,
Hi Jumping, Nice hearing from you. I know life's good in Brussels but the fact is that tbe 997 RSR will soon get a place in the Hall of Fame like the Spyder. Not bad! Now beeing P2 at Le Mans is ALWAYS bad. Porsche will come back in GT and what ever the new RSR specs are, will have to deal with new race regulations ( and big egos from ACO/FIA) so, it's not just simply the car's performance/racing abilities which are on line.. You now that.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I always kind of thought the reason the 997 RSRs still had some sort of hope is that the people driving them are so good.

And just for fun, lets take a look at the waiver-mobile aka the M3 GT:

Porsche:

Road Going GT3

GT3 R

BMW

Road Going M3

M3 GT

Last edited by Carrera; 06-18-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spyderman is on a distinguished roadSpyderman is on a distinguished road
Just some observations and opinions:
1. The IMSA car did not lose due to the puncture it suffered. It lost because it was forced to put Anthony Pons behind the wheel (due to the fact that he has not completed the minimum required hours’ at the wheel). He is an amateur driver and was racing against Pedro Lamy (a professional). He was at times, more than 10 seconds a lap slower than Pedro. It was evident to all following the race on live timing and scoring that the IMSA car was doomed to second place. IMSA lost the race because they showed poor management of their driver line-up.
2. The 997 RSR is completely outclassed by the newer 458 and because both the Corvettes and the Astons have been given performance breaks (larger restrictors than the 997RSR), it simply is no match for them.
3. The 997RSR has in fact been given another 0.3mm restrictor break (plus some aero modifications – bigger front lip and higher rear wing) by the ACO/IMSA , but these breaks only apply to the ALMS and the 997’s that were at Le Mans did not race with these bigger restrictors.
4. We can expect an announcement from Porsche this fall concerning the 2013 RSR. The word is that it is safe to assume that the 2013 RSR will neither be based on the 997 chassis nor power plant.
5. My concern with the 991 RSR remains in the engine department. It will continue to have a relatively small (at least in comparison with the opposition) engine , and the impact of air restriction could once again leave the car at the mercy of the ACO/FiA BoP.
6. As a long time Porsche fanatic and Sportscar racing fan, It is my most sincere desire that the 960 become a reality ASAP.

Last edited by Spyderman; 06-20-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
I could imagine seeing the 2013 RSR debut with the 991 chassis, but with an improved version of the Mezger engine, at least for the 2013 season. Who knows though, maybe we'll see a 9A1 in it.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed about the GT class. It was fine when they had "GT2", but they're just trying to stretch it out too much now in the wake of GT1 being gone. I liked it when it was a simple, LMP1, LMP2, GT1, GT2.
I wouldn't mind seeing GT3 cars included as the lowest class in Le Mans 24/WEC events (as well of course in ALMS and LMS). We've seen the GT3 cup cars on track with the P1 prototypes for the last two years here in the States. FIA and ACO should get rid of GTE AM, in favor of GT2 and GT3.

I've read a number of articles about the popularity of GT3 competition in Europe and damn near all the major sports car manfacturers produce these racers (as we've seen with VLN/N24).

It is a logical solution as I also think an amateur requirement in GT2 is proving costly for the faster P1 teams in terms of driver errors.

Last edited by "The JC"; 06-20-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spyderman is on a distinguished roadSpyderman is on a distinguished road
I could imagine seeing the 2013 RSR debut with the 991 chassis, but with an improved version of the Mezger engine, at least for the 2013 season. Who knows though, maybe we'll see a 9A1 in it.
No Mezger engine.
Very likely 9A1 (with dry sump) and DFI

Quick Reply: Porsche returns to Le Mans in 2014