Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Mid- vs. Rear-Engine Debate: Porsche Cayman R vs. 911 GT3 by Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post The Mid- vs. Rear-Engine Debate: Porsche Cayman R vs. 911 GT3 by Car & Driver

The Mid- vs. Rear-Engine Debate: Porsche Cayman R vs. 911 GT3

Car & Driver pits these two hardcore Porsche against each other
Porsche’s 2012 Cayman R, the hottest mid-engined model in Porsche’s current lineup, represents the theory side of the equation. This is the thinking man’s sports car—light, stripped, and hunkered down for utmost agility. Aluminum door skins, a bare-bones interior, carbon-fiber seat structures, and new 19-inch wheels hold the curb weight to 3076 pounds. Air conditioning and audio-entertainment equipment are optional. Porsche’s 3.4-liter, direct-injection flat-six has been goaded to 330 horsepower at 7400 rpm, a 10-hp gain over the standard Cayman S. While price doesn’t count in this analysis, the Cayman R starts at $67,250, a pocket-warming $12,700 less than a base 911.

We tapped a 911 GT3—the proud son in an unbroken line of rear-engined Porsches dating back to 1948—to represent the practice-makes-perfect argument. What the GT3 lacks in value (as-tested price: $130,910), it overcomes with pure grit. In terms of power-to-weight ratio, this is the second-hottest naturally aspirated Porsche money can buy (after the GT3 RS). The 435-hp, 3.8-liter flat-six and the six-speed transaxle powering this 911 descend from battle-hardened race hardware. Prepped GT3s compete in the Porsche Supercup, a Formula 1 support series. Decades of exorcising handling gremlins that come with hanging a 570-pound engine behind the rear axle have paid off in razor-edged reflexes. The latest fix is a $1300 set of dynamic engine mounts that cinch up during aggressive maneuvers to calm the GT3’s transient behavior.
Follow to C & D for the full review and video: The Mid- vs. Rear-Engine Debate: Porsche Cayman R vs. 911 GT3 - Feature - Car and Driver

Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Moral victory for the Cayman. Way less sticky tires, smaller contact patch, and 20% lower power-to-weight ratio, and it was, at worst, within a couple of percent of the all-conquering GT3.

Someone, please figure out how to put the 4.0 engine from the new GT3RS into a Cayman, then come up with aero mods to make it look as aggressive as it really is. Finish it off with some Motons, and I think we'd have a car that would pretty much murder the GT3.

This is all on the objective side. Subjectively, personal preference wins, but in the real world, these cars are effectively identical in all but straight-line power, and if you care about that, buy a Turbo, or a Z06, or a GT-R, or.....

Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool comparo. In the hands of most drivers the two cars would prally be soooo close at the track you couldnt even tell. On the street, the GT3 would win from a "baller" perspective but on a twisty back road i bet the Cayman R would be just as much (if not more) fun --- and youd have an extra 40 grand in your pocket too

Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
In any other country than Germany I'd take the Cayman over the GT3 and save some money. The most fun you can have away from the track are on narrow and curvey roads where you never get up to rly high speeds anyway. I bet on those conditions the Cayman is just more fun.

Sent from my U20i using Teamspeed

Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
^^
ur right, its very hard to enjoy the gt3 on the road, it take the boxster spyder

Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I posted this a few days ago...

https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/6084...ar-engine.html

As well as dallascajun.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/6083...e-comparo.html

Neither got much exposure though. Awesome review! I think between the two, I'd pick a Boxster Spyder... or may be the GT3.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
^Well it seems no one cared until now.

I'd get the GT3 though.