Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two GT2RS's are better than One GT2RS... and a GT3RS... and another GT3RS... and...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Dan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Two GT2RS's are better than One GT2RS... and a GT3RS... and another GT3RS... and...

Two GT2RSes are better than One GT2RS... and a GT3RS... and another GT3RS... and...

Gentlebunnies, this week was about on-par with Shark Week for us (unless you count the Montreal F1 race we're going to next week). You don't often get to see and play with a 2011 997 GT2RS let alone a second one the very next day. Then throw in a pair of 2011 MK2 GT3RS' and a MK1RS to boot and we're starting to think if Alex does get his arse back into the water to go surfing he might be lucky enough to see a White Shark in the red triangle too.

The first one was a White-themed version which came in for a bit of track and safety prep. including our Fire Extinguisher kit (and a roll bar) as well as the TechArt noselift system to make it easier to navigate steep inclines/declines (such as getting on to a trailer). The 2RS' do not have a noselift option from the factory although you can get any level of red/carbon you want for an extra 50K in options! The real kick in the pants was the additional power from the EVOMSit software that we installed and tuned for 91 octane. Does it need more power? No but with the LWF and horrid 91 octane we have here it's amazing what some additional tuning can do for it. Not for the feint-hearted....

Fire extinguisher installed on driver's side:

I had driven a modified 997 Turbo hours before I tried the 997 GT2RS, so I was the only one lucky enough to offer a before and after comparison between these two cars. I sat both as a passenger and driver in each car, although both were modified by the time I was passed the keys.

As a passenger, my first impression of the EVOMSit tuned 997 GT2RS was "Okay, this thing is dang quick". It feels much like a 6-speed 997 Turbo with an EVT-700+ upgrade package (the weight being the key difference). I wish it had some higher octane unleaded fuel rather than poor California's 91.

EVOMSit software being uploaded:

The car still feels especially pokey in the 4000+ RPM range, around 5000 RPMs the second rush of power comes in and it honestly does feel like it's about to take flight. Almost like a sequential turbo (guessing this is a combination of the variocams and intake).

The car is pretty loud at WOT to be honest, I would not change the exhaust on this car if it was my own (it has an excellent tone and runs extremely clean, why change it?).

It was by far one of the fastest cars I've been a passenger in, definitely top-5. From a couple second and third gear blips, it's obvious the car would pull extremely hard past 60 MPH and as it pins you back, it's clear it won't stop until you chicken out and let go of the gas. You really would need a race track or airport runway to push the car properly, it would be crazy to think otherwise. The road around you becomes a blur and you giggle a bit, it's just so impossibly fast for a nearly stock car.

Next I had a chance to drive. By now I was drooling a bit, but my first observation (at about 5 MPH) was that the PCCBs seemed even touchier than the Turbo's, maybe it was the mileage, but it was just dead-on near instant stopping at low speeds. The clutch was easy to use, just like driving a 997 GT3RS. Having just come from a modified 997 Turbo (~600 HP) with Bilstein coilovers, RSS sway bars and other bits, the steering still felt much lighter on the GT2RS. I could immediately tell that the car has considerably less weight over the front wheels. The lag is not bad. At worst as bad as the modified Turbo, but it felt peppier on spool-up. I wish I had more time behind the wheel. The power is really impressive, I think this car would be a heck of a handful on a track compared to a GT3RS.

The throttle response, especially at low and mid-throttle loads is perfect, kudos to Todd @ EVOMS, I know he spends a lot of time on these settings.

If you have a GT2RS and somehow it's not fast enough, try to find someone that can offer a ride in the EVOMSit modified equivalent, I think you'd be shocked at how hard this thing can pull.

The second one was a Silver/black version which was incredibly decked out with carbon. The European Roll-bar, our Fire Extinguisher kit and RSS suspension links were all installed giving it a bit more safety and adjustability. Oh and it was out with the EVOMSit flashing station yet again. One thing you really notice (without even moving the car) is that the responsiveness is upped a notch to match the single mass flywheel. More aggressive and although not a GT3 it's still snappy as one can get on a turbo platform.

Although wrapped up, you can make out the very special interior and our FE in this one:

Factory Euro rollbar:

EVOMSit tuning:

Heading home:

The GT3RS' that came by this week all went through similar programs starting with our exhaust, the very same RSS suspension links and of course a 91-octane EVOMSit tune. We absolutely hate our jobs. It's Friday and past 7pm so go turn off your PCs but before you do we figured we'd share a few of these Carcharodon carcharias' and Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos sightings from ze Shark Werks folks.

RSS 930 rollbar being installed:

Super-rare even in these waters was a 997 C4S Targa which came in for ze Shark Werks exhaust. Oh and the EVOMSit flashing station got some action too:

Flashing Targa style:

Cool lines:

Re-using factory tips:

A stage II 997 Turbo being flashed:

Fridays can be a bit crazy, and this Pumpkin showed up between track duty for a quick visit:

The black and silver 2011 3RS that we had built for the One-lap of America event came back and is getting a few more track-themed goodies such as an upgraded LSD from Guard and the Brembo Type III rotors. The factory PCCB's are a pretty penny so for extended track use it's more cost-effective to save them and switch to steel. We'll show you guys the weight differences later.

Are you guys still here?

Old 06-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome post, it's always cool to see what's going on at different shops.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Still here. That's an awesome week.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
greattt

Old 06-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Nan
Teamspeed Member
Nan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enough
You guys do some excellent work! Thanks for posting all these upgrades; gives everyone some great ideas. Keep it up!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Dan: Nice write up on the 2RS. I will be doing the tune on my car. Thanks

Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vchris is an unknown quantity at this point
perfect garage! keep us inform...

Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Teamspeed Member
supertomcat is an unknown quantity at this point
always love when you guys post on here. top notch work as always.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
This is Jon's wet dream.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
^^ you know me so well.

Quick Reply: Two GT2RS's are better than One GT2RS... and a GT3RS... and another GT3RS... and...