Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SharkWerks Weight Reduction Program with HRE's new R40 Monoblok Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011 | 06:25 PM
|
Former Sponsor
sharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up SharkWerks Weight Reduction Program with HRE's new R40 Monoblok Wheels

The SharkWerks gang has always been keen on weight savings and not just adding power. Hence, if you're going to change wheels we always think it's fine it they "look nice" but we've always wanted something that's forged, strong and yet lighter than what you're taking off. (Less is more in terms of unsprung weight and rotational inertia for optimal acceleration, handling and braking performance). Designed specifically for track and street applications we've partnered with HRE to outfit our 3.9L 996GT3 project with their new 18 inch R40 one-piece forged (using 6061-T6 forged aluminum) wheels in crazy blue (a la GT3RS in Ze Europe). The R40 is available in 18” diameter and widths ranging from 8.5” – 12” in Multi-lug and Center Lock versions (soon-ish). Note the rattle-gun friendly open dish shape for fast wheel changes! The R40 wheel was derived from and used on race cars that won the 2010 Grand-Am GS Championship.

Let's start off with the factory 996GT3 wheels (also pleasing on the eye) which on the 996GT3 were considered somewhat "light". The stock rears with stock 295/30/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires mounted are 56.5 pounds:

After the tire is removed the wheel itself comes in at 28.5 (not too shabby):

And over to the fronts with the stock tires mounted (48 pounds):

No doubt these aren't the lightest tire but here's the front wheel with the tire off (25.2 pounds):

Here's the front 18x8.5 HRE wheel weighing in at 18.3 pounds:

And now mounted with the same stock tire (40.5 pounds):

Over to the rear 11 inch wheel coming in at 20.2 pounds:

And with the tire installed it comes in at 47 pounds (check the machining on the inside of the spokes):

What we have here folks is a pretty neat weight cut of 8.3 pounds per corner in the rear and 6.9 pounds per corner in the front. That's a total of 30.4 pounds. It all starts to add up with the 54 pounds taken off of the rear, the light-weight seats, battery, brakes etc... With the wheels themselves being comparable in price to a new set of these factory GT3 wheels lighter is the way we're going

Rear wheels installed:

Front wheels installed. And yes we've got the 8-piston Brembo GTR brake kit to fit with plenty of room to spare. For those of you with PCCB's 18s is not an issue:

On her way home:

Old 02-05-2011 | 06:30 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that is quite the difference in weight. Do you guys track this car?

Although from an aesthetic point of view -and there's no other way of saying this- that looks terrible. The R40s just don't work in baby blue

Old 02-05-2011 | 06:43 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
I love what you are doing with this. The 996GT3 has gotta be the best.

Love the plate too.

Old 02-05-2011 | 08:08 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome choice of wheels. They look great.
I just ordered a set of the P40S's because I wanted 19's and even those felt very light when I picked them up.
btw after the 3.9 conversion what level of power did this 996 GT3 put down? Pardon me, I forgot the results from the thread on the project.
The car looks squared away. As always, nice work and choices.
Just an aside, my choice for street and track would be the Toyo R888's.

Ranger

Old 02-05-2011 | 08:14 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I respect the lightweight route, always been a fan of HRE but I guess there are better wheel design to choose from, I think the Comp line from HRE would look better.

Old 02-05-2011 | 09:05 PM
|
Former Sponsor
sharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
I respect the lightweight route, always been a fan of HRE but I guess there are better wheel design to choose from, I think the Comp line from HRE would look better.
Thanks and light weight is king around here.. I've had so many Comp wheels on my cars before and as much as I like them (and I really do) I wanted to go for the new lighter single piece wheel.
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Awesome choice of wheels. They look great.
I just ordered a set of the P40S's because I wanted 19's and even those felt very light when I picked them up.
btw after the 3.9 conversion what level of power did this 996 GT3 put down? Pardon me, I forgot the results from the thread on the project.
The car looks squared away. As always, nice work and choices.
Just an aside, my choice for street and track would be the Toyo R888's.

Ranger
Thanks Ranger and good choice on the p40s.. we've done those and they are VERY light indeed if you look at the mexico blue car we did last year.... This 996gt3 started with 376rwhp as a 3.6 and we got her to 431rwp:P Not bad eh?

Roger that on the tires. She's getting a photo shoot first and then some R888s for testing:P
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
I love what you are doing with this. The 996GT3 has gotta be the best.

Love the plate too.
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by jox
Wow, that is quite the difference in weight. Do you guys track this car?

Although from an aesthetic point of view -and there's no other way of saying this- that looks terrible. The R40s just don't work in baby blue
Hi Jox, that's the plan. We are working on testing some suspension stuff first and then she'll be ready (with proper tires). The weight is nothing to scoff at and I totally understand in terms of the shocking color scheme but with the stock Euro GT3RS wheels which were on there in blue I just wanted to keep that theme somewhat. In the US we didn't get the 996GT3RS so this is our attempt at having one I guess

Old 02-06-2011 | 12:48 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jbigelow will become famous soon enoughjbigelow will become famous soon enoughjbigelow will become famous soon enoughjbigelow will become famous soon enoughjbigelow will become famous soon enoughjbigelow will become famous soon enoughjbigelow will become famous soon enoughjbigelow will become famous soon enough
Keep up the good work Sharky!!!!!

Old 02-06-2011 | 12:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Please please please sell me this car when you're done with it. It's by far my favorite 996 on the planet.

Old 02-06-2011 | 01:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice update for the 996 GT3!

Old 02-06-2011 | 01:33 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by jbigelow
Keep up the good work Sharky!!!!!
Thanks pal!
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Please please please sell me this car when you're done with it. It's by far my favorite 996 on the planet.
Aw thank you! I love the car too and she's being prepped for some press/testing but when she's done with that... Hmm
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Nice update for the 996 GT3!
Thanks pal! She's getting some seriously cool stuff including the RSS Tarcmac set up and Ohlins...

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Weight Reduction Program with HRE's new R40 Monoblok Wheels