Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clang in GT3 when starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
Just a wild ass guess but maybe this has something to do with DFI? I don't know what kind of pressure it requires or what this pressure is produced by, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it was related to building fuel pressure. Of course, this could be completely off base.
C- the 997.2 GT3 is not DFI. Just bored out to 3.8L, variocam on intake and exhaust and some other juicy tidbits.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Normal!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
C- the 997.2 GT3 is not DFI. Just bored out to 3.8L, variocam on intake and exhaust and some other juicy tidbits.
You think the 991 GT3 will have a DFI block or continue with the GT1?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kevin@parkplace
Thanks Khalid! I wonder what causes it - dry sump? or maybe flywheel?
You know, I heard all sorts of explanations but the one that made sense to me was that it has to do with engine oil coming up to pressure and actuating tensioners and/or valve lifters. Can't be flywheel because it happens on both the GT3 and the RS. Can't be the drysump because it doesn't happen to turbos.

Nice pics!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Haku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond repute
This too may be completely gaga but here's my non tech input.

I've noticed this happens more often if I've washed the car and left it for a while. Start it up the next morning and for a split second BOOM and smoke. Could it possibly be anything to do with water accumulating somewhere?

Silly I know but I had to mention it...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
You think the 991 GT3 will have a DFI block or continue with the GT1?
No idea David. We'll find out shortly, I'm sure.

Haku- I don't think that's the case mate.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Teamspeed Member
kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
You know, I heard all sorts of explanations but the one that made sense to me was that it has to do with engine oil coming up to pressure and actuating tensioners and/or valve lifters. Can't be flywheel because it happens on both the GT3 and the RS. Can't be the drysump because it doesn't happen to turbos.

Nice pics!
thanks Khalid! I am going to track the car again next Sat will see if I can post a few more the following week.

I hadnt given it much thought based on your statement I am surprised Porsche hasnt put out a bulletin - the senior tech at Champion was unfamiliar with the condition...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Teamspeed Member
-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all
My gt3 makes the same type noise upon cold startup . . .I assume it's normal

Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
This too may be completely gaga but here's my non tech input.

I've noticed this happens more often if I've washed the car and left it for a while. Start it up the next morning and for a split second BOOM and smoke. Could it possibly be anything to do with water accumulating somewhere?

Silly I know but I had to mention it...
it's normal in the car. nothing is wrong. it's not water. it's the engine type. this isn't the typical 911 engine fellas.

no biggie.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
it's normal in the car. nothing is wrong. it's not water. it's the engine type. this isn't the typical 911 engine fellas.

no biggie.
This USED to be the typical 911 engine until they decided to screw regular 911 owners with M96/7 and A91 engines.

Quick Reply: Clang in GT3 when starting