Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 GT3 RS review by EVO

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Porsche 911 GT3 RS review by EVO

2010 Porsche 997 GT3 RS

What is it?
It’s the maddest, baddest and just plain best Porsche of all, the 911 GT3 RS. Which might just give away the fact that we think this car is rather good. This is the second generation of the ultimate road racing 997 and costs £104,841.

Technical highlights?
The car itself, and pretty much everything about it. Except for the fabric door pulls – they’re a bit of a gimmick and not that easy to use, often needing a couple of pulls to actually work. The 3.8-litre 444bhp flat six is utterly majestic, the stats it’s capable of producing (0-60mph is four flat, 100mph in 8.1) a mere sideline to the engine’s sound, spirit and range.

What’s it like to drive?
Astonishing. That’s the word I keep coming back to. There’s an aura about the latest GT3 RS and the communication levels that bond you to it that somehow transcend the usual boundaries of ride and handling.
First of all there’s the knowledge that nothing this side of a tarmac rally car is faster on a given bit of road – for evidence of that, I’d urge you to watch (or re-watch) the video of rally legend Francois Delecour taking Chris Harris for the ride of his life.

No other car I can think of makes dizzying cornering speeds more comfortable, more secure, more accessible and yet puts you in closer touch with exactly what is going on at the wheels. Every corner is picked apart and no matter how fast you tackle it you realise the RS is giving you so many options to trim or alter your line through it.

It forces you to up your game, to concentrate absolutely on the pure task of driving, which suddenly becomes a learning process. It’s extraordinary, this car, with its telepathic responses, the detectable hint of understeer on corner entry (so easily neutralised), gymnastic balance, razor-sharp engine and amazingly compliant ride. Even on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres it deals with rough roads better than the standard GT3. The gearshift is heavy and occasionally crunchy, but that just means that every perfect heel-n-toe shift is cause for celebration.

It’s a wonderfully active companion, always telling you something and everyone who drove it went home the pretty way. I nearly doubled the length of my normal commute, while Henry just drove all night…

How does it compare?
To what, that’s the question? The closest car in spirit and execution is probably the Lotus Exige Cup, which doesn’t have an engine anything like as enthralling. The RS is unquestionably worth the extra twenty grand it costs over the standard GT3, too – and let’s not forget that was runner-up at ECOTY last year. However, for the definitive answer you’ll need to read this coming month’s issue of the magazine, on sale on the 28th April.

Anything else I need to know?
The level of detail that has honed this car is intense. The exhaust has a 5mm wider bore and is now made of titanium, track widths up up 26mm and 44mm front and rear respectively and no, you don’t have to have the graphics…

Source --> Porsche 911 GT3 RS driven

Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Grey/Gold is a beautiful combo.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond repute
quite a review.... i would love one of these.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Member
Chris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to allChris75 is a name known to all
The Grey/Gold is my favorite so far. Can not wait to finally see one in person.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
My dream car at the moment although I still haven't seen a color I liked on this car.. I think official colors really dulls this exciting machine. I'm waiting to see some custom orders in wild colors ..the light bright blue on the gt3 for ex. would look incredible.. or maybe some 969 colors like purples and reds etc..

Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Teamspeed Member
adamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Clubber
My dream car at the moment although I still haven't seen a color I liked on this car.. I think official colors really dulls this exciting machine. I'm waiting to see some custom orders in wild colors ..the light bright blue on the gt3 for ex. would look incredible.. or maybe some 969 colors like purples and reds etc..
or grey on gulf like Ludas avatar, that is now an awesome combo!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
It just looks so "right". I need one of these in my life someday.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
it is THE car to have right now

Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adamr
or grey on gulf like Ludas avatar, that is now an awesome combo!
Thanks, member Fredej p-shopped it for me as I always imagined it to be a perfect combo and it turned out pretty cool indeed.
I think it's grey/riviera blue.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Teamspeed Member
gerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to allgerbs is a name known to all
Very very nice.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 GT3 RS review by EVO