Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 GT3 (Non-RS) vs 997.2 GT3RS ...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010 | 07:24 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
spg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond repute
997.2 GT3 (Non-RS) vs 997.2 GT3RS ...thoughts?

I have a 997.2 GT3-RS on order. I believe its on the water and should be here imminently. Previously i had a 997.1 GT3 and then later a 997.1 RS. I always felt, performance-wise, if you closed your eyes, they were pretty similar.

A good friend who has been dying to get a great track day, DE car, something he can drive to the track, have fun, hopefully stay in 1 piece and drive home was asking me if the GT3 would make a good option, or wait till perhaps an RS came available.

I havent laid eyes on mY RS and havent driven one yet, but i have driven a 997.2 GT3 and personally felt that car was wicked. just awsome. i would probably say it easily was a better track day car than my 997.1 RS though for spirited street driving, they were both just fine. but up there as thigns got more demanding the 997.2 gt3 was kick ass.

the price gap is interestingly NOT as big as i think it was on the 997.1 a nicely spec'd gt3 is like 130, 135, ive seen a few up there near 140. my RS is 157 and i think its highly optioned. 20k gap. IF, IF one could find one. which i think in the middle or tail end of summer, a few RS's will pop up, maybe down from MSRP since they arent pricing over msrp.

so not sure what to tell him. and then just curious myself.
i guess the question is,....what r the differences? suspension, engine, tuning, seat? obviously width in the rear, wheels, tires, etc. i get.
(ive read a couple of things about that wide tail being a detriment as it relatest o aerodrag)....
do the stock GT3 seats support a 5pt harness?i kow the RS do.

those who have a gt3 and have tracked it...r there things about the RS outside of aesthetics you'd want?

does anyone have a technical list of the differences, functional not just aesthetics.??

the dude cares not about aesthetics per se. the GT3 is a HUGE step up from his awsome C2S he's modded for ever.

thoughts? ideas??

Old 04-08-2010 | 08:48 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
GT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to all
The RS will always have a more special feeling. Is it worth $20K more? Right now, not to me, but its debatable...

I got a 997.2 GT3 with all the standard RS options such as carbon seats, and dynamic engine mounts; plus a few more options. The main difference between the 997.2 GT3 and GT3 RS, is the bigger rear intake the RS has, the RS has 15 HP more, shorter 5th gear(I think), lightweight flywheel, wider track 23mm front, 44mm rear, bigger carbon wing, and stickers. My GT3, stock, put down 404 whp SAE on a dynojet. Savyboy's RS, stock, put down 413 whp SAE on a dynojet. Keep in mind that those results are from 2 cars in 2 different states. Im very happy with mine.

I tracked my GT3 and its and its amazing. Will be installing the full Akrapovic GT3 race system next friday. Will post before and after dynos. I wIll do an ECU tune from MHP (ALMS race files), and lightweight flywheel from the RS in the future. Nothing else, except for alignment and corner balance, the car is perfect. I don't see an RS getting away from me at the track, even stock for stock...

Now, if there was an RS allocation available when I ordered my GT3 (last June), I'd have an RS right now. I just passed on 2 RS allocations. I don't think non RS owners are missing anything.

Last edited by GT1 Motorsports; 04-08-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
I've got an RS, prefer the RS, love the RS, etc. Now, I am willing to bet that a regular 3 can become faster than an RS on the track and the person be out way less money. Maybe even including making the regular 3 better looking. The RS is rare. There is value to that in dollars. Look at the last one. There is a wider gap in this model, although small, and the RS will be more desired because of that. I don't think you will see a price drop. My local dealership got an allotment of 2011 RS's the other day, and they were sold in minutes. One betterment in the economy and you will see the value of these increase. Which I hope happens. If not, so what. The RS is studly.

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
997.2GT3 is more than enough car for everyone here that drives on the road and track.

Interesting though, I never once thought about getting one.

To me, it's the RS or nothing. I studied, worked hard, and saved lives for a long time. I want something special to treat myself. I know I'm worth it.

Old 04-09-2010 | 03:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
997.2GT3 is more than enough car for everyone here that drives on the road and track.

Interesting though, I never once thought about getting one.

To me, it's the RS or nothing. I studied, worked hard, and saved lives for a long time. I want something special to treat myself. I know I'm worth it.
Same, except the saving lives part. The RS is fantastic although im sure the Gt3 is too. Id always be thinking what if i got the cooking version. im a very happy bunny.

Old 04-09-2010 | 04:22 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO if it was the MarkI 997 GT3 vs mkI 997 GT3RS, I'd take the GT3.

Otherwise, now that the RS has MORE power in addition to being lighter, I'd say the new MkII GT3RS will be the sweet heart.

And I'm just assuming but based on the fact that RS's are so much more desirable then the GT3 (still about 20 sitting on showroom floors) shows there's more support for this car.

Old 04-10-2010 | 01:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
a reg 3 will be plenty car to track for DE's. now if mpney is not an option and he just wants the RS than thats a different story, but i say just get a 997.1 gt3

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I think the rs will cost you less money in the short term as running costs are the same and depreciation is sure to be less. Only difference is initial purchase price but if you are buying outright your earning nothing with it sitting in the bank today!

Old 04-10-2010 | 11:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by woppum
I think the rs will cost you less money in the short term as running costs are the same and depreciation is sure to be less. Only difference is initial purchase price but if you are buying outright your earning nothing with it sitting in the bank today!
Exactly my thoughts.

Money in the bank is making less than 1% interest.

Money in stocks and mutual funds may depreciate faster than the RS.

Old 04-11-2010 | 12:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by woppum
Only difference is initial purchase price but if you are buying outright your earning nothing with it sitting in the bank today!
no doubt!!!

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 (Non-RS) vs 997.2 GT3RS ...thoughts?