Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Teamspeed Member
nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
RS Arrived

A few very brief comments and initial impressions after 30miles in the car. Note: all of the driving was on the street (dealer's unpopulated test route) and didn't see much over 100. I'm sure the car will be even better on the track.

Drove 6 hours from Boston to Delaware to be at the dealer for 8am PDI. Lot's of congratulations from the tech and salespeople as well as obligatory cell phone cameras all around. What can I say; the car looks incredible in person and I'm 110% satisfied with my color choice (Grey Black/Red with full decals). I'd encourage anyone on the fence about the graphics to leave them on and reserve judgment until you see the car in the flesh. Interior is fantastic (full leather) and I'm very happy I went with the thicker steering wheel. It's not nearly as thick as the few photos floating around - mine included - make it appear and it fits my hands great. In fact it was so much less thick than I anticipated that I initially thought it was the wrong wheel. The dealer had a standard GT3 - get this, paid and registered by a customer three months earlier but never driven - sitting on the lot and a quick comparison confirmed that I did have the thicker wheel. And for those that saw my earlier post, it does have the black spokes as opposed to silver. Now standard spec or so I'm told. The standard seats are very nice but I still prefer the CGT seats for my tall slim frame. Perhaps an upgrade in the future.

After the shop work was done it was on to the road test. Of course rather than the clear skies and 63 degree temps the previous evening, the morning served up temps in the low 40s and rain with a bit of intermittent sleet. Not the best conditions but no matter, the first few miles were easy and I was happy to get a tour of the local loop. After a cool down, the next run I let the sales manager drive (felt I owed him) and he wicked things up a bit while I sat in the passenger seat. Different roads this time but still raining. Skip to the good part: fourth drive and my second time behind the wheel. The sun is starting to work it's way out, the roads are rapidly drying and I know the combined loop and traffic patterns enough to play a bit, albeit restricting things to 5-6k.

The first thing that overwhelms is the sound: the rattle at idle from the flywheel and the way the engine seems like it's inside the cabin with you; how easily it picks up revs and the induction noise when you start to dip into it. The next thing that hits you is how incredibly buttoned down the car is. There is no doubt that this is a race car for the street. At any sane street speed through any turn it's just dead flat and direct. Also, compared to previous 911's that I've driven (including earlier GT3s) there is absolutely none of the front-end lightness that's always left me a little perplexed about the whole 911 ethos. The classic rear weight shift on acceleration is so toned down and controlled that it's hardly noticed at street speeds and the front end feels completely intuitive. You know that the rear weight bias is there but it's doesn't dominate the experience the way it did for me in previous 911s. The final aspect that stands out for me, and this what I love about track-focused cars, is how much the car can be managed with the throttle. The last section of the loop contained a nice series of turn combinations and elevation changes that really let this aspect come through. Need to tighten your entry? No worries just back off a bit and the front tucks right in. Line a little too tight on exit? Dip into the fun pedal a bit more and the car drifts out to pick up the right line. My buddy joined me for the last drive and by the time we pulled into the dealer we were both laughing uncontrollably. The overriding thought at that moment was "I'm never selling this car". Never say never i know.

A giant shout-out to Alex and Dave at Winner Porsche in Newark, DE. They've been fantastic to deal with and Dave never lost patience with my endless spec changes on the order. I'm sure he was even more relieved than me when the car finally locked down.

Attached Images         
Old 03-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
HUGE congrats! She's gorgeous!!! Enjoy the RS in the best of health!

Thanks for sharing your driving impressions with us so far.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
you definitely should be satisfied with that color choice! that car looks great

congrats and enjoy it in good health

Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
CONGRATS!!!!!!!! That car appears to be designed by Gods own hands!!!!!! JEALOUS!!!!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
OceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond reputeOceaniaMedia has a reputation beyond repute
Gorgeous looking car mate, well done.

Ned

Old 03-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
sooo jealous

Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
Gorgeous. Big congrats! Enjoy in the best of health!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
yeah....that really is a drivers car

one of the last...maybe

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Big congrats, enjoy!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
congrats!

Quick Reply: RS Arrived