Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shark Werks 3.9 liter engine conversion for the 997 GT3 -First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Dan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond repute
The best roads, I love the trips we take to your area. Welcome to TS.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to TS and thank you sharing!
I remember you posted a picture of your first porsche under the tree in your avatar and another one of your GT3 on 6spd.
How was your motor after 37,000 miles (internals)?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
snowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
The best roads, I love the trips we take to your area. Welcome to TS.
Yeah Dan, there has been some good ones. I was especially impressed with the last trip you made and the driving skills you demostrated with your Insight. You do have the "inertia thing" perfected!!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
snowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of lightsnowboarder54 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by AudiRS
Welcome to TS and thank you sharing!
I remember you posted a picture of your first porsche under the tree in your avatar and another one of your GT3 on 6spd.
How was your motor after 37,000 miles (internals)?

Hey AudiRS, Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I have a photo of one of my old Porsches from 1964 going through the same tree that is pictured in my avatar
with my GT3 43 years later. I believe it was my 3rd 356. I'll have to try and find that pix! James said my motor looked pretty good inside considering the way I drive.(whatever he meant by that.) He did do some extra to mine that's not part of the SW regular 3.9 conversion due to the high miles. Split the case, new bearings etc. I love the 3.9, plan on putting some more miles on it this weekend before the rains hit on monday!!

Last edited by snowboarder54; 12-05-2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: correction 1964!! not 46
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
here are a few pix from my post afew years ago on "the other forum" titled "44 years later".

Attached Images     
Old 12-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to snowboarder54 again.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor
sharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond repute
Same here! I love that Coupe...

Need pix of RSK's

Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Okay, I haven’t driven the 3.9 for two weeks now as I had a little off with my 29er which resulted in 3 broken ribs and very sprained back, two sprained wrist and one sprained ankle. Went to PT this morning and got the back loosened up nicely so took the GT3 out for a short drive this afternoon. Conditions were far from perfect, roads still damp from two days of fog and the ribs and back are still a little tender so I went for a short, 57 mile, drive up one of my favorite roads. The thing that impressed me mostly today was the low end torque in second and third gear! Absolutely incredible compared too the stock 3.6. I had to be a little frugal on the gas due to the wet roads but did manage a few runs up too the new 8800 RPM redline!! This thing pulls all the way too the top, just a thing of beauty!! Also, for any of you thinking about this mod I will say again how happy I am with the 325’s on the rear and with the Pirellis. They really instill confidence for me on wet surfaces. After 13 sets of the MPSC’s I highly recommend the Corsa system over them. So if the weather holds I may venture out tomorrow for an all day drive. I’ll see how the old body feels in the morning. I don’t know how Walter does this day in and day out. Maybe he doesn’t ride mountain bikes!!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Get well soon, man! Glad you had a chance to take the 3.9 for a spin though.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
The finishing touch

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Shark Werks 3.9 liter engine conversion for the 997 GT3 -First impressions