Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No next-gen 911 GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down No next-gen 911 GT2?

It's probably all heresay at this point, but with the way the the world is turning out, you never know. Hope there's no truth to it.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere...

"Preview: 2011 Porsche 911
According to the latest reports from the German magazine Autobild, it seems that Porsche is currently working on a new 911. The new car will not be just a number change, like the 996 and 997! It appears that we will see a brand new vehicle vehicle that will make its official debut at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Autobild says that the new model will not bring Targa, Turbo Cabrio, GT2 or Speedster versions although there are chances to see them if the German manufacturer will receive many requests for these type of cars. Regarding the design of the new car, this will show radically different proportions: the front of the car will be shorter while the rear will be extended with 100 mm, but don’t expect too much, because Porsche still wants to keep the legendary shape. In the first two years we will see just Carrera 2/4 and Carrera 2S/4S versions which will carry the following engines: the standard version will be powered by a 3.4-liter boxer engine capable to deliver 350 hp and a maximum torque of 350 Nm while the S version will carry a 3.8-liter engine which will deliver 400 hp and around 440 Nm of torque. More details to be revealed!"

Source: Preview: 2011 Porsche 911

Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely BS. No Turbo cab???

My guess is this info is a blend of the next 911 and the 928 debut.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Tbh I think it sounds alright with no Turbo Cabrio, that car never made any sense to me anyway. More of a car to show off in at the Riviera than an actual drivers car. However I am a bit confused they won't release a Targa or GT2 version. I'm not sure wether to trust this info or not.
Anyway I guess the point of all this is to make less models and to focus more on doing these models better.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I won't cry over the Targa model being dropped as I quite frankly don't understand why it even exists, or for whom, but there's nooooo way in hell they're gonna ditch the Turbo vert and the GT2.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
BS
they`ve already taken the GT2 out of the configurator because the new one will sure arrive soon

Originally Posted by Autobild
Bei diesem Modell wollte Porsche unter der alten Führung aus Kostengründen die Variantenvielfalt einschränken – kein Targa, kein Turbo Cabrio, kein GT2, kein Speedster. Das neue Team wird diese Entscheidung vermutlich revidieren. Mehr noch: Mit dem 700 PS starken GT1 steht angeblich sogar ein neuer Supersportwagen auf 991-Basis in den Startlöchern, der jenen roten Faden wieder aufnehmen könnte, den Porsche beim Produktionsstopp des Carrera GT verloren hat.
the other Germans here at TS sure have the time and will to translate this...

but basically,it says that the old managment of Porsche wanted to ditch the Targa,TT cab,GT2 and the Speedster due to cost concerns,but the new guys are likely to veto that and on top of that they might introduce a 700hp CGT successor based on the 991 platform.

q.e.d

Last edited by ECB; 11-10-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
BS
they`ve already taken the GT2 out of the configurator because the new one will sure arrive soon

the other Germans here at TS sure have the time and will to translate this...

but basically,it says that the old managment of Porsche wanted to ditch the Targa,TT cab,GT2 and the Speedster due to cost concerns,but the new guys are likely to veto that and on top of that they might introduce a 700hp CGT successor based on the 991 platform.

q.e.d
I believe this article is referring to the next-gen(991 or 998) version of the 911, not the 997.2 GT2.

As for a 700hp CGT successor...Do tell! Any leaked info on the CGT replacement from our German Teamspeeders would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Zeus; 11-10-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
i have to say after reading that, its just a prediction based on what they did with the 996/7 platforms, i doubt they have any information from porsche

Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I dont like the targa that much, I feel its heavy for the amount of power it produces.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
It'll come in due time. It always does. Porsche never updated everything at once, sometimes 2 or more years between different models of the same generation.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
How about they ditch wet sumper for all non GT 911's and go back to their roots, the M64?