Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of 997.1 GT3RS with an active wing, yes active folks

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Video of 997.1 GT3RS with an active wing, yes active folks

Found this on rennlist post by member "smindustries"

I've been working with Aeromotions to develop an active rear wing for Porsche 997 applications. The wing is on and functioning. The next step is tuning the wing to define the angles of attack for maximum downforce before stall for braking, for lowest-drag in linear acceleration and maneuvering angles for lateral acceleration.

Here's a clip of the car at low-speeds showing the wing operating. If you click the video and visit the YouTube page, you can view it in HD:
I'm impressed!

YouTube - Aeromotions Wing on a 997 GT3 RS

Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
When asked about active aero being banned in every racing organization...

As far as I know, it's currently only legal here in the US in Redline's Time Attack series. One feature that is handy in series that don't allow active aero is the ability to use the on-the-fly adjustment during practice to determine the best angle of attack to provide the most balance between downforce and straight-line speed for a given circuit. The adjustment mechanism is then mechanically 'locked out' so that it will not move during qualifying or racing.

A walk around the paddock at any event (not just PCA) reveals wings that are set haphazardly to the point that they're stalling. The prevailing thought seems to be that 'More angle always equals more downforce,' however there is a point at which there is no benefit and actually hampers the car.

Having said that, I don't intend to go racing with the car and my time on the track is limited to DEs. The main benefit I'm looking for is to negate the squirreliness I get from the rear under hard braking for a slow corner and the wing's ability to provide maximum downforce when I need it is appealing to me. I'm a novice driver and I want the security that comes with stability. The factory allows for adjustment of their wings and Aeromotions has automated the adjustment. That's one less thing to wonder about.

So far, I've been really impressed with these guys. Not only have they created a product that looks only slightly different from the factory unit, they've made it in a manner that requires no permanent modifications to the car and they've also invested a lot of time and effort getting it right. They've even invested a lot of man hours using my car to make their CFD model more accurate so that there's no guesswork. Here's the first run of the model they sent me:

Disclaimer: I'm not involved with this company in any other way than being a happy customer so far.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
That was a quick mod, especially on a machine that has barely been released!! I personally like the idea of giving the pilot more input!!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I like what I see.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future
Nice mod

Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
totally cool.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that's badass.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex13188 has a reputation beyond repute
Thats cool

Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Sick, now it would be awesome if it automatically went into highest angle mode say at decelerations superior than 0.5 G.