Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   Want to buy a nice CGT - anyone selling?? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/23856-want-buy-nice-cgt-anyone-selling.html)

dealmaker 05-28-2009 07:02 AM

Want to buy a nice CGT - anyone selling??

Guys,

There are so many crashed cars out there and so many unscrupulous dealers (inc e-bay sellers) that I've decided I'd much rather go private! (Or get a personal recommendation)

Anyone know anyone who is considering selling a nice clean CGT - ideally less than 5000 miles and in mint condition? Location is totally unimportant - as is the color to a degree though I'd rather have a black interior - but would consider anything.

Thanks!

Craigger 05-28-2009 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by dealmaker (Post 329287)
Guys,

There are so many crashed cars out there and so many unscrupulous dealers (inc e-bay sellers) that I've decided I'd much rather go private! (Or get a personal recommendation)

Anyone know anyone who is considering selling a nice clean CGT - ideally less than 5000 miles and in mint condition? Location is totally unimportant - as is the color to a degree though I'd rather have a black interior - but would consider anything.

Thanks!

Jamie or another board member should be able to help you out (I believe they're name is along the lines of DP993TT).

I believe they follow the CGT market fairly close.

Good luck on the hunt!

993rsr 05-28-2009 08:30 AM

Guys,

Thanks!

Presuming you are planning on bringing the car back to the UK?

If you are the fact that the 3 year window on avoiding the 10% duty has gone, unless you are lucky to find a late 2006 car you are cheaper/easier buying in the UK at the current exchange rate.

Say a 'good' no stories car is around $300k dollars, back in the UK that's around £240k including VAT, Duty and shipping.

If it was me I'd look at finding one in the UK.

dealmaker 05-28-2009 11:56 AM

Hi - yes I'm looking to get one back to the UK - maybe I'm being naive but I though as long as the car originated in the EEC then there wouldn't be any import duty to pay?...only the 15% VAT?

Is there a 3 year limitation from date of manufacture for this exemption???? I hope not! or as you say I will need to get a later 06 car!!

My sums assumed no import duty and lets say a "lowish" invoice price from the US - meaning a car back and converted for around £220-230k. You are right thats getting into the UK car money - but there arent any really nice ones left (theyv'e all gone to Europe due to the exchange rate) - only leggier car/examples (many of which are US imports anyway) and a limited choice at that!

A Euro car would be easier for me but they all seem to want silly money - hence my belief that I may get a "better" car, nicer one-owner condition, lower miles - with more colour and spec. choice - in the US.

I do need to clarify that import duty issue though!

tractorcrusher 05-28-2009 11:59 AM

Forgive my lack of history, but do you still own the Red CGT?

993rsr 05-28-2009 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dealmaker (Post 329438)
Hi - yes I'm looking to get one back to the UK - maybe I'm being naive but I though as long as the car originated in the EEC then there wouldn't be any import duty to pay?...only the 15% VAT?

Is there a 3 year limitation from date of manufacture for this exemption???? I hope not! or as you say I will need to get a later 06 car!!

My sums assumed no import duty and lets say a "lowish" invoice price from the US - meaning a car back and converted for around £220-230k. You are right thats getting into the UK car money - but there arent any really nice ones left (theyv'e all gone to Europe due to the exchange rate) - only leggier car/examples (many of which are US imports anyway) and a limited choice at that!

A Euro car would be easier for me but they all seem to want silly money - hence my belief that I may get a "better" car, nicer one-owner condition, lower miles - with more colour and spec. choice - in the US.

I do need to clarify that import duty issue though!

Be very careful a 'lowish' invoice price may be picked up as the 'Rev' have a good idea on values of these cars and prices.

The duty exemption is 3 years from date of it leaving the EU, I had to provide the original bill of lading when my car left the EU bound for the USA when I brought it into the UK in 2007.

You will make no saving based on current prices/exchange rates buying in the US, in fact it may even work out costing you more.

The Vanq 05-28-2009 12:34 PM

So I take it you would send it back to Porsche to have it converted to RHD?

LAZY TURBO 05-28-2009 01:21 PM

Contact jamie

dealmaker 05-28-2009 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Vanq (Post 329468)
So I take it you would send it back to Porsche to have it converted to RHD?

.err..........no......there werent any RHD Carrera GT's produced - I would simply run it as LHD - we do that a lot over here - I have a LHD Ford GT as well!

Originally Posted by 993rsr (Post 329463)
Be very careful a 'lowish' invoice price may be picked up as the 'Rev' have a good idea on values of these cars and prices.

The duty exemption is 3 years from date of it leaving the EU, I had to provide the original bill of lading when my car left the EU bound for the USA when I brought it into the UK in 2007.

You will make no saving based on current prices/exchange rates buying in the US, in fact it may even work out costing you more.

AAGGGHHH....Bummer...looks like I need to find a late 06 car to make it even remotely sensible....wouldnt be such a problem if there were more cars in the UK.

Originally Posted by tractorcrusher (Post 329440)
Forgive my lack of history, but do you still own the Red CGT?

No........unfortunatley not hence the post (I need to update my signature don't I?)......in a moment of pure weakness,.........no call it MADNESS......I accepted an offer for the car from someone who wanted that spec....................the single worst move I've ever made in all my many years of exotic car ownership!!! (Including selling my 993 GT2, or my 964 RS 3.8L, or my 993 RS CS!)

STLG 05-28-2009 03:20 PM

Guys,

Thanks!

Wow. you really, really want one of these huh?

wish i could help you out, but i've never even seen a CGT in person :resent: