Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   Want to buy a nice CGT - anyone selling?? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/23856-want-buy-nice-cgt-anyone-selling.html)

wyatth 05-29-2009 05:00 AM

^ uncalled for. if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. :)

PRS29 05-29-2009 05:13 AM

The US only has 2004 and 2005 models for the most part. Depending on the color and the mileage (you want less than 5000), you would be looking at the mid $300k range. Then importing it to England, paying your 18% or 19% VAT, any type of conversion costs, etc... and you may be better off sourcing the car elsewhere in Europe.

jamie 05-29-2009 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Matthias K. (Post 329695)
I know a no-story fayence-yellow/black CGT over here in Germany. I personally know the first owner of it. If you need more infos -> PM

Why not this car? It sounds delicious.

dealmaker 05-29-2009 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by PRS29 (Post 330128)
The US only has 2004 and 2005 models for the most part. Depending on the color and the mileage (you want less than 5000), you would be looking at the mid $300k range. Then importing it to England, paying your 18% or 19% VAT, any type of conversion costs, etc... and you may be better off sourcing the car elsewhere in Europe.

I've seen a few cars go for nearer the $300k mark with <5k miles. I'd pay 15% VAT on top and even with shipping and the small cost of conversion - it would still be 20% cheaper than a Euro car.

Originally Posted by jamie (Post 330135)
Why not this car? It sounds delicious.

I am on it!!

dealmaker 05-29-2009 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 993rsr (Post 329463)
Be very careful a 'lowish' invoice price may be picked up as the 'Rev' have a good idea on values of these cars and prices.

The duty exemption is 3 years from date of it leaving the EU, I had to provide the original bill of lading when my car left the EU bound for the USA when I brought it into the UK in 2007.

You will make no saving based on current prices/exchange rates buying in the US, in fact it may even work out costing you more.

According to my import guy (thats all he does) - cars from the US are exempt from import duty as long as you can prove they were manufactured in the EEC. Only the VAT to pay.

dk996tt 05-31-2009 10:33 PM

check out rhcollectibles.com. they have a 2004 black/terracotta with 4663 miles. excellent condition.

TimF40 05-31-2009 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by jamie (Post 329814)
...I'd be inclined toward the Silicon Valley car at 260 or so. Unfortunately, they have slightly more than that into it.

Make sure you see the SVAG CGT in person and in the day time. It's a little rough around the edges, including a nose spray that doesn't match very well. - Tim

993rsr 06-01-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dealmaker (Post 330148)
According to my import guy (thats all he does) - cars from the US are exempt from import duty as long as you can prove they were manufactured in the EEC. Only the VAT to pay.

Sorry but your guy is wrong. The HMRC states that vehicles that are repatriated into the EU within three years of exportation from the EU are exempt from the 10% duty. Over three years and you pay the duty. So you have the purchase price, the vat, the shipping, then the duty on top of that.

I investigated this extensively before buying my car and car assure you this is correct.

dealmaker 06-02-2009 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 993rsr (Post 331818)
Sorry but your guy is wrong. The HMRC states that vehicles that are repatriated into the EU within three years of exportation from the EU are exempt from the 10% duty. Over three years and you pay the duty. So you have the purchase price, the vat, the shipping, then the duty on top of that.

I investigated this extensively before buying my car and car assure you this is correct.

John,

I found this on the HMRC web site - seems they can "waive" the three year rule under certain circumstances - I think this is what my guy is saying we can use to get around the rule:

8.1 Can I bring back belongings or a vehicle free of duty and tax?

Yes, as long as:

for customs duty purposes:

-if they, or any components, were previously imported into the EC, any customs duty was paid and not refunded when they were exported from the EC
-they have had no alteration outside the EC other than necessary running repairs and
-they are brought back to the EC within 3 years*.

*Note: For both customs duty and VAT purposes we will waive the three year time limit if you can meet the other conditions and we are satisfied the belongings or vehicle were indeed previously in the EC and are not being imported in the course of business.

jamie 06-02-2009 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by TimF40 (Post 331602)
Make sure you see the SVAG CGT in person and in the day time. It's a little rough around the edges, including a nose spray that doesn't match very well. - Tim

Interesting. Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the paintwork.