Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS Euro Bumper Conversion by Mikymu

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Jack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up GT3RS Euro Bumper Conversion by Mikymu

This is an amazing job Mikymu did that I saw on the 6 so i thought I would share it here as well! Since Suncoast Steve is a sponsor here as well I though he would appreciate the post!

"I was never a fan of the US version Porsche rear bumper with the two 5 mph 'humps" starting from the 911 in the 70's all the way to now. I really like the clean Euro rear bumper look and decided to do a conversion. I was naive in thinking it's a straight swap of the plastic cover until I found out there was these two bony humps behind the plastic cover which prevent the Euro bumper from being installed lol

Initially, I was just going to Dremel off the two humps but decide against it. I gave Steve at Suncoast Porsche a call and placed an order for both the Euro bumper and the aluminum brace. Interesting the aluminum brace came with the heat shield attached. I was surprised how light it was. It was not until I took off the US rear bumper brace that I realized the gain was not merely cosmetic but also a significant drop in weight!!

OK, here is what I did. First of all, let's take off the US rear bumper. This is a simple task. Just take off the lights on each side and remove couple T-27 screws around the bumper (there is a screw at each end of the bumper behind the wheel well best access with rear wheels off). Disconnect the license plate lights and pop out each end of the bumper by clearing the wheel well/heat shield brace and gently pull the bumper back and out

Now the US rear bumper with two 5 mph bumper stopper are exposed

Loosen the two screws connecting the heat shields on each side and remove the two bolts holding down the brace to the rear bumper mount and notice how much heavier the US aluminum brace is compare with Euro brace

Here is a comparison of the US aluminum brace to the Euro version. Noticed how the Euro version has cut outs on the back side. I weight each and the US aluminum brace weigh 16 lbs and the Euro version weigh merely 8 lbs!? WOW, a whopping 8 lbs reduction just in the aluminum brace

Another benefit is the location of the tow hook. Now the tow hook is outside of the license plate and you don't have to remove the license plate each time to install tow hook for track

Initial look of the Euro bumper after install

My man Tony at TNT Autobody did a great job with color match and paint. He did couple more clean up after install. Remember these cars have water based paint and not every body shop is trained in doing this. Make sure you find a quality shop to spray the paint. These bumpers look the best if it is only spray once

Out of Curiosity, I also weigh the plastic bumper. I was surprised that US rear bumper weigh 14 lbs while the Euro rear bumper weigh 11 lbs painted which is 3 lbs lighter!? This add up to a total of 11 lbs weight reduction with the Euro rear bumper conversion considering the 8 lbs lost with the aluminum brace and 3 lbs lost with the plastic bumper cover. Now I got rid of the unsightly 5 mph humps and lost 11 lbs from the very end of a rear weight biased car. What can be better than this "

Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
LazerTron is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the nice documentation.
i'm glad that mine came without the US humps as it should have

Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Always loved the euro rear look - did that to a bunch of my 996's

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
At first I wondered what the big deal was, but now I understand. The look of the euro bumper is much better.

Last edited by "The JC"; 02-10-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Teamspeed Member
///M_Chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice project and write up..very detailed.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
RE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant futureRE5PEKT has a brilliant future
Excellent write up! Now its time for a Euro Plate

Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
chardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura aboutchardonet has a spectacular aura about
Very nice conversion and write up.

Thanks for posting. Now all you need is the new GMG Ti center section (only 3lbs.) !! The weight reduction is significant.

GMG Racing - Porsche Exhausts - GMG WC 997GT2 Titanium Exhaust, Cargraphic, AWE Tuning, and Tubi Exhaust Systems

I am planning to trade up to the Ti very soon.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute
i just love a GT3 RS in this color, and the euro bumper is much nicer!!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Jack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting - I never knew about the waterbase paint issue

Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
is there any other type of paint anymore ? Lead based is not allowed anymore right ?

Quick Reply: GT3RS Euro Bumper Conversion by Mikymu