Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design Review Of The Porsche Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
I always secretly wondered about this,
Is there anymore room in the trunk when you put the roof halves inside?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Winchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond repute
If i ever had that kind of money the CGT would def. be on my list of cars to own. I made a promise a long time ago that the Ferrari CS would be the first, but i'm in LOVE with the CGT. I've heard one flying past and revving in person, and it is pure heaven. The BEST sounding car from the factory ever, IMO.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt

The problem with the CGT is the clutch and the cost of the body parts. The clutch makes it a horrible daily driver for anyone whose driving involves hills (despite what any "hero" owners say, the clutch is a horrible thing and is Porsche showing the world its technology and ruining the car's drivability) and the cost of parts means that any small prang is such a cost that (the vast majority of) owners do not want to use the car for anything other than special drives.....

I do not agree with your opinion on the clutch. Are you an owner? Once the car is warmed up, the CGT is very easy to drive. The clutch is not an issue, and is actually quite simple to master. There are a lot of other cars out there that are significantly more difficult to drive. The difficulty some people are having driving (or trying to) these cars is a reflection on them, not the machine.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
Jas, you truly are a class act and it shows in your passions for your machines. If I ever needed a Doctor I would hope that He shared some of the same passions in his profession as He does in his garage. Very well done kind Sir, Very well done!!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Jas, glad to see you here!!! Hope all is well!!! I am watching the prices closely...

Jamie, I still ask myself, WTF were you thinking?!?!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Lost for words…
Thank you for an invaluable post

but its tooooooooooo late for me

Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
peloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond reputepeloton has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh
I do not agree with your opinion on the clutch. Are you an owner? Once the car is warmed up, the CGT is very easy to drive. The clutch is not an issue, and is actually quite simple to master. There are a lot of other cars out there that are significantly more difficult to drive. The difficulty some people are having driving (or trying to) these cars is a reflection on them, not the machine.
Josh, I agree with you. After a few outings in my CGT, I really don't even think about the clutch anymore, and that includes conditions like uphill starts with cars tucked up behind me.

Jas, nice post!!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond repute
RUFMD,congrats for a very tight write up,you have covered it all.
Myself,i totally agree with Toby inhere,i have been dissapointed twice with the cgt-the 2nd one i still can't sell....at the end of the day it's a matter of preference and circumstances

Old 12-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Guys, can I expand on the issues I raised, it is not my intention to bash the CGT, it is an intoxicating unique car and the ultimate Porsche.

I came at the CGT wanting a car which I could use as a daily driver.... this may seem ridiculous when the reality is that probably 99% are used infrequently and are (beautiful) items in collections which get used for special occasions. Porsche have engineered this car to be able to be used as a DD, the engine is very unstressed the gearbox is bullet proof and the clutch can take many miles before replacement. The brakes are nice to use and durable and the ride quality is exceptional and you can actually see out of the thing.

So Porsche make this wonderful car which is 100% Porsche ie it can be used like a normal car during the week and then give race like thrills whenever called upon - right ?

Yes apart from the two items I mentioned. The clutch is totally unecessary on this car, it is Porsche showing off its technology. They say it is needed because of the torque - this is BS, as we all know Sachs make some nice organic clutches which can handle 800NM with ease and and perfect to use.

There is a solution for the clutch, RS Tuning have a different more conventional item which they fit to their 730hp 6 litre conversion engines, I thought hard about having this fitted but then unfortunately my second CGT "problem" came into play.....

The cost of ALL the parts on the CGT is silly silly money (big caveat, this is all IMO and we know silly money is down to how much of it you have ) I was once walked around a CGT on a ramp in Germany in 2004 and the guy pointed to various parts and came out with various numbers: 15000 Euro, 12000 Euro 4000 Euro oh and a wheel 5000 Euro - the car is just too damn expensive to be used as a DD particularly for a daily traffic commute which is what I fantasized about.

There were 6 of us in my vicinity who had/have these beasts. I sold mine for the above reason as did another (he replaced it with a Veyron as his DD - so he wasn't bothered about replacement parts !) Another sold his as he didn't drive it enough and part of the reason was - yes he couldn't be &rsed with the clutch, The other 3 guys have theirs but they are strictly weekend fair weather toys - this ultimately is what the CGT is good for (and very good for) but it is a shame since it is a Porsche and is capable of so much more....

Incidentally, took delivery of the GT2 yesterday and I have a feeling that this actually does tick all the boxes on my Porsche DD check list......

Here is a crappy video of me doing the "CGT clutch start" at an airfield....
YouTube - Carrera GT airfield start

Old 12-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Teamspeed Member
993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute993rsr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt
Whilst I have to agree the CGT is technically THE most impressive road car Porsche have made to date (with the 959 a close second) and a must own for those with the means to have a collection. Most CGTs are doing low mileage which actually negates the best bit about the car.... it is seriously durable with "daily usability" a real proposition in terms of servicing and general robustness.

The problem with the CGT is the clutch and the cost of the body parts. The clutch makes it a horrible daily driver for anyone whose driving involves hills (despite what any "hero" owners say, the clutch is a horrible thing and is Porsche showing the world its technology and ruining the car's drivability) and the cost of parts means that any small prang is such a cost that (the vast majority of) owners do not want to use the car for anything other than special drives.....
Hi TB, the clutch becomes easier the more you use it. I'm up to 18k miles on mine, still with the original clutch and I've driven through central London twice (including one time driving a fellow CGT owners car home for him with him sat beside me) and I've rarely had an issue.

If I'm pulling out of a junction/up a hill where I really don't want to stall I'll use some throttle, even using this method on occasions my clutch is still at 29.50mm.

As for cost of repairs, OPC Reading have repaired several cars panels with a local carbon company rather than replacing them at big $$$ with excellent results.

Every drive, whether it's to the 'ring or to the local shop for a pint of milk is special

Quick Reply: Design Review Of The Porsche Carrera GT