Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

Senner Tuning on the BMW Z8: Old Dog, New Tricks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Senner Tuning on the BMW Z8: Old Dog, New Tricks.

Name:  BMW-Z8-Tuning-1.jpg
Views: 4234
Size:  201.4 KB

Senner Tuning turns its attention to the BMW Z8

Taking the modern-day classic and giving it supercar performance

Back in the year 2000 the BMW Z8, fitted with an E39 M5 5.0-liter V8 engine delivering 400 ponies, was a rather lethal weapon on the street. Fast forward to present day and you'll find many a cars able to put down the same power for far less money. So what's a BMW Z8 owner to do who is craving a bit more kick-in-the-pants from his classically styled Z8?

Why not give German tuner Senner a call? With just a few simple and non invasive tweaks consisting of a new
performance air filter, a custom exhaust system, and a mild ECU refresh, output is lifted to 450hp and 535Nm (394.6 lb-ft). Senner states that the modded Z8's top speed is in now excess of 300km/h (186mph).

Rounding out the tune is
a set of new 19-inch Schwert SC1 alloy wheels mounted on super sticky Continental Sport Contact 5P tires measuring 255/40R19 up front and 285/35R19 at the back.

The complete cost of the tune is €18,900, which comes to about US $24,500.

Press Release:

ONE OF THE 5,703 BMWs Z8 by Senner Tuning AG

The Z8 model manufactured by BMW between March 2000 and July 2003 is included in the number above. It also includes 555 Alpina version cars (450 of them were equipped with an automatic gearbox and were shipped to the USA). They feature a wider radiator grill and side air intakes which were created by Henrik Fisker – based on the 1955 BMW 507 – and have almost become a rarity, certainly better known to experts as the E52 internal type. Even the standard roadster featuring a 5.0 liter V8 engine from M5 (E39S) provides impressive 294 kW (= 400 hp) and max. torque of 500 Nm.

To overhaul this sports car (this time the car is available for order only in full optional) as delicately as possible and make its overall appearance elegantly understated, Benno Senner of SENNER Tuning AG, Ingelheim, with his crew implemented the best existing concepts. At the very start the engine was supplied with a sports air filter set. Then parameter adjustment followed, including the exhaust system balancing featuring a welded exhaust manifold with a stainless steel silencer and flame tubes designed with metal catalysts. This adds the total of 37 kW (50 hp) and 535 Nm torque. This dramatic increase enables to raise the maximal possible speed to over 300 km/h.

When picking the perfect wheel-tire combination, SENNER Tuning AG chose Work Schwert SC1 wheels in Diamond Black varnish with an anodized 9x19 and 10x19 inch chrome outer rims, and Continental Sport Contact 5P 255/40R19 and 285/35R19 tires. To compensate for the fact that RunFlat tires were mounted on non-emergency run-flat wheels, the tool kit was complemented with a tire-repair set and a compressor. A glance through the wheel provides a view of Racing Gold varnished brake calipers. And a few words on the chassis technology: In addition to the coilover suspension Variant 2 Inox-Line with an adjustable rebound, a strut bar was installed on the reinforced shock mount in the front in order to stabilize the front end.

This Ingelheim-performed conversion of the Z8 into an elegant black-colored piece of art costs € 18,900.00, but taking into account the total number of vehicles manufactured it should be seen rather as an additional increase in value.

Source [Senner Tuning AG]

Name:  BMW-Z8-Tuning-2.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  BMW-Z8-Tuning-4.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  194.2 KB

Name:  BMW-Z8-Tuning-3.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  177.1 KB

Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
That's very cool. But 24k seems a bit steep for an airbox, exhaust, and chip. My father has a Z8, and has had it since new in 2002. Very cool car, and an absolute joy to drive.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Teamspeed Member
Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
LOVE these cars! I could look at pictures of them all day. Very under-appreciated and overlooked in the car world.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hernando
That's very cool. But 24k seems a bit steep for an airbox, exhaust, and chip. My father has a Z8, and has had it since new in 2002. Very cool car, and an absolute joy to drive.
Agreed. But you get the wheels and tires too. And I like the wheels.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
One of the best looking cars ever... but I might call Dinan for mine.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Teamspeed Member
Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Agreed. But you get the wheels and tires too. And I like the wheels.
I like the style of them, not so much the chrome/polished look. It does fit the car though, what with it's chrome grill, chrome roll bars, etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Duff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond reputeDuff Man has a reputation beyond repute
The only custom rims you put on a Z8 are Alpinas.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Dodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to behold
One of the few cars I would consider to buy for long term partnership. It's timeless lines keep growing on me. I should've bought one when the prices were 70 KEUR ballapark!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duff Man
The only custom rims you put on a Z8 are Alpinas.

I guess I could hate those rims more. But I'm not sure how . . .