Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

Jeremy Clarkson slams the BMW X1: “It’s not a car. It’s rubbish”

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Jeremy Clarkson slams the BMW X1: “It’s not a car. It’s rubbish”

2010 BMW X1

From BMBlog.com:
"And Mister Clarkson is back……In its usual language and writing style, Clarkson takes another stab at BMW and as expected by us, he is very much so against the BMW X1, just to put in a few nice words. Not built for everyone, the BMW X1 came to the market to fill a gap, an entry level SAV that is highly fuel efficient, and that replaces the X3 at the bottom of the X-family. Not the most fun car to drive nor the most spacious, but with a defined demographic, especially in Europe. With this being said, let’s see what Clarkson had to say:
I felt BMW might be able to pull off a bit of a winner, then. It had learnt some lessons with the woeful X3 and it really has got styling worked out these days. Plus, BMWs are almost always better to drive than any of the cars with which they compete.
Sadly, I was to be disappointed. First of all, the X1 looks like a Hyundai that’s been subjected to a thousand years of wind erosion. It’s dreary. And it’s much the same story on the inside, where you are greeted with lots of extremely scratchy plastic and almost no equipment at all. You want a built-in sat nav system? Well, tough.

Rigid ride? Seats less comfy than Ford Galaxy?
It’s very uncomfortable as well. The ride is much too rigid and the seats are very nearly as firm as those fitted to a Ford Galaxy. Which means they are hard enough to shape diamonds. That’s nice if you actually want to shape diamonds, but if you just want a comfy place to sit while you go home, the X1 won’t do.
Off-road work? Well, yes, there is a four-wheel-drive version, which should be all right on farm tracks and the like, but the car I drove was fitted with something called sDrive. That sounds exciting. It sounds like the sort of system Captain Scarlet would have used to fight the Mysterons. But no. For some extraordinary reason, sDrive means rear-wheel drive.
…but he likes the RWD
Now I like rear-wheel drive. Rear-wheel drive makes a car feel better balanced than front-wheel drive, or even four-wheel drive. It’s right that the front wheels do the steering and those at the rear the propulsion. It’s why BMWs always feel so proper. But I can’t see the point of such a system in a tall car with the engine from a canal boat under the bonnet.
And here comes the slam..1 out of 5 stars
It robs space, adds cost and means that if we get another snowy winter, you won’t even get out of your drive. I fear the marketing men have insisted this car has rear drive even though it makes no sense at all. The whole package doesn’t, if I’m honest.
If it were a book, it would have no plot and a stupid cover and it would fall to pieces in the sun. But it isn’t a book. And neither is it a car. It’s rubbish.
Now this is all fair game and clearly, once again, this is not a car for everyone and we have not yet fully embraced it either, but what we would really wanted to see from Clarkson was a comparison against the competitors, a far more logic approach before the guillotine is sent down."

Full article on TimesOnline - Jeremy Clarkson BMW X1 sDrive20d SE review | Driving - Times Online

Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't driven one or even seen the X1 in person yet, but just based on the picture alone, I can agree with everything Clarkson said.

It literally looks like a rolling piece of shit in that photo.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
If you buy an X1 you're a tool-box. No need for that car whatsoever. It screams: " Im barely able to afford a BMW!"

Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Striker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
It literally looks like a rolling piece of shit in that photo.

The color as well slightly resembles your statement!!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Clarkson is ... a clown.

Last edited by Jo_Switzer; 04-26-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Had to make it sound more like Clarkson.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
bugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished road
Do bmw need to fill a gap??? Leave that to hyundai or else

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Clarkson is a God and I shall sacrifice a chicken in his honor tonight.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Teamspeed Member
Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I may not like the X1 either, but this is typical Clarkson, never anything viewed (or reviewed) objectively.
Always with a bias in mind, always with an agenda in tow. Always his way or the highway...and I still love watching Top Gear.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned
freshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these partsfreshdown is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jo_Switzer
Clarkson is ... a clown.
LMFAO
I could not have said it better myself

Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, I've seen the X1 a couple of times in person, and it actually looks pretty good. Much better than the X3. I have only seen it in silver though.