Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

The BMW Emblem History

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Cody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud of
The BMW Emblem History

I've always assumed that the BMW emblem was a spinning airplane propeller, but recently I had seen a show that had a BMW Museum curator say that it was based off of a coat of arms/flag.

Does anyone know which is true?

On one forum I found while searching a member had asked BMW themselves and this was the reply:

Dear Mr. Whalen;

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. Before BMW began building automobiles, we manufactured airplane engines. The Roundel represents a white propeller spinning in a blue sky. If you are interested, there is a great deal of information on the history of BMW on our website at BMW Group. Select 'Company', and then 'history'.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Anthony Salla
Customer Relations and Services
Representative
I have to wonder if that's just what BMW PR likes to use and may not be the full truth.

Here is the flag/COA also:

Any more insight on this?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Try to email BMW in germany and see if they come up with the same answer .

Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
that was the answer I had always heard as well...

Just like the three points of Benz is their involvement in land, air and sea.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Cody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud ofCody D has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by strebo
Try to email BMW in germany and see if they come up with the same answer .
I can just imagine how my German translation would come out wrong and I'd start a war between Canada and Germany.

Originally Posted by Craigger
that was the answer I had always heard as well...

Just like the three points of Benz is their involvement in land, air and sea.
I didn't know the Benz stars meaning.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
The four Audi rings was the merger of 4 auto companies with Audi becoming the end result. Forgot the 4 companies though...

Old 02-04-2009, 07:08 PM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
The four Audi rings was the merger of 4 auto companies with Audi becoming the end result. Forgot the 4 companies though...
Horch, DKW, Audi and I forgot the other... *edit Wanderer, thank you Google

I heard the airplane prop version of BMW's emblem