Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Types and functions of hardware tokens for two-factor authentication

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 03:10 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
yanaskuhinta is an unknown quantity at this point
Types and functions of hardware tokens for two-factor authentication

Recently I thought about the security of my accounts and decided to try two-factor authentication. I heard about hardware tokens, but I have never encountered them. Someone at my work uses them to log into the corporate network, they say that it is more reliable than all other methods. But I wonder if it is difficult to set up and if there are any real advantages compared to the same SMS codes? I once used SMS codes for one of my bank accounts, but it turned out to be quite inconvenient. Maybe someone already uses such hardware tokens and can share their experience?

Old Yesterday | 03:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
EricCartman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, hardware tokens are really convenient, especially when you need increased security. I used SMS codes for a long time, but then I decided to switch to a token. It is more convenient because you do not depend on the Internet or communication - the token is always at hand, and you do not need to worry about someone intercepting the SMS. Setting up is not as difficult as it seems, most devices support standard protocols, just connect to the system and that's it. Here you can read about Two-Factor Authentication Methods . will help you better understand what's what. I can't imagine working without it, especially when I have to manage several accounts.

Old Yesterday | 04:05 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
yanaskuhinta is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you very much for the advice! Now it is clearer what the advantages of tokens are. I think it is really worth trying, especially considering that you do not need to depend on the Internet or mobile communication. I am glad that the setup is not as difficult as I thought. Thanks for the link, I will read it to understand in more detail!

Old Yesterday | 04:14 PM
Teamspeed Member
EricCartman is an unknown quantity at this point
Always happy to help!