Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

My Brand new 2016 VW Golf R with issues - VW unable to resolve

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:46 AM
Teamspeed Member
adamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud of
My Brand new 2016 VW Golf R with issues - VW unable to resolve

have not posted in a while here, but I thought it wise to post my experience regarding my purchase of a brand new 2016 Golf 7R here in South Africa. This is my second Golf 7R ... testament to just how great this car is as an everyday car. And i didn't skimp on optional extras:

DCC
Oryx White
High beam
Nappa Carbon Leather
DSG
Pan Roof
Dynaudio sound
Pretoria wheels
Keyless
Reverse cam
Media interface

The only option missing is Navigation. The car was driven to me and delivered to my door.

on the day of receiving the car

ME: Hey ***... Did you notice a shudder at 110kph on the car when you drove it?
Sales Rep: No is all okay? Where do you find it
ME: Just a shudder on the steering steering at 110
ME: Bump stops removed?
Sales rep: Bump stop??
ME: Asked someone else they say it's fine... The bump stops have been removed

this is when i thought it must be balancing ... but how can balancing be out on a brand new car?

Next day ... it gets more interesting

ME: Hi ***... Yesterday I found a chip on the cars rear left mag wheel. It's not curb damage but a chip and it's also on the inside where the tyre meets the mag wheel.
ME: Impossible for me to have caused this.

Sales rep: It is very difficult to tel it got have happy while i was driveing. But i dit show it to my DP And agree with me
ME: I think this was not due to driving. I notice the tyre shine is perfect. Tyre has no marks on it. This happened I'm sure before you even drove the car. Seems like someone tried to pry something off the mag wheel.
Sales rep: Shit buddy what would like me to do .
ME: Would they be able to replace the mag wheel? Maybe make arrangements with a local vw dealership here. There is actually a chip on the inside lip where the tyre meets the rim which would have been impossible for either me or you to have caused... The car otherwise is perfect with no imperfections
Sales rep: I no that one mag is more then 10 000 rand but i will find out for you
ME: I know they expensive but I did buy a brand new car
ME: See what the dp says

it gets better

i take the car to TSW to check balancing

front two wheels 10g off ... guess within spec
Rear right wheel perfect balance
Rear left wheel (the one that is damaged) 25/35 (inside and out) balancing off

make matters worse i realise on the inside of the rim there are scuffs and scratches ... like this below

look at 12h00 and look at 14h00 on this pic below (not super clear but one can see)... can see scuffs and scratched. This is the inside of a brand new wheel

uncompressed picture, click to blow up

when removing the rim and on the same side the damaged rim is i notice the side sill is cracked ...

a few days later i realise the bumper is a different colour to the car. Something not as obvious on normal viewing. And whilst i do understand the difference between painted plastic and painted body panels. This is definitely not normal

not so obvious in normal light

after much debate with VW SA, my lawyer, the DP ... i afforded VW SA to fix this. They came out to see the car, put the car on a hoist and spent the close part of an hour just making sure what they saw is in fact "not normal". The VW sales rep agreed its not normal and offered the replace the mag wheel, replace the bumper with one from Germany and replace the side sill. He did initially offer to spray the bumper. I told him no ... i said the car is oryx white and there is no way in hell they will be able to match that colour. I pointed out to him that i have owned maybe 70 cars in my personal capacity to date and i am exposed to motor industry and never in my life have i ever seen a perfectly sprayed car

i have been waiting a week

today i get a call ... they tried sourcing the bumper from Germany and could not. Apparently Germany was not willing and could not supply this part. Then the VW SA rep told me that they tried to source a bumper from a unit in the local DCs. But they cant do this for me because of data dot. Which i think is a poor excuse. I am now beyond furious ...

I have gotten my lawyer involved. I have point blank asked them for a new car! no negotiations as i will with my lawyer take this further

Its funny that one can buy a cellphone and if it has a small 0.5mm chip it would be replaced with no questions asked. Buy an over R600k car and they ducking and diving ... im jsut posting for all to see and you can make your own judgments

excuse my spelling and grammar ... it might be out of kilter ... but i am angry

Old 01-30-2016, 04:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Rob99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by adamr
I have point blank asked them for a new car! no negotiations as i will with my lawyer take this further
My opinion is:
Modern low aspect ratio and ultra low profile tyres aren't easy to mount without damage the surface of the rim. So, the car looks like, it has been driven before and crashed somehow and repaired by non-professionals. To reverse the transaction of the respective purchase should be fine.