Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Schoolwork on the Car Industry

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Teamspeed Member
RickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond repute
Schoolwork on the Car Industry

Hi guys,

I'm doing the IB-programme (International Baccalaureate) here in Sweden, and we are now supposed to start writing our Extended Essays. The Extended Essay is exactly what it sounds like. A 4000 word essay which we may write in any of the subjects we´re taking in school. I have decided to write mine in Economics, since I consider it the most interesting and fun subject.

We've all been recommended to write our EE's based on a subject which we are really interested in, since they mean this may come to increase the quality of it.

As you might have guessed, I would like to base my EE in Economics on the car industry. My supervisor recommended me to write about whether there is any price stability in the car industry, that is, if the price of raw material, such as oil or steel increases, will the price of cars increase proportionally?

Do you guys think this is a good topic? I'm a bit uncertain since it all feels kind of logical that it should increase proportionally, however, he wants me to do some research with prices and so on. Still feels kind of hard to write almost 20 pages on this topic. Does anyone have a better idea than the topic stated or perhaps some general good advice or resources?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Wouldn't it be more like 10-12 pages?

Why not write it on competition within industry, the entry of Japanese firms into the US market, ... something like that if you've been exposed to game theory?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Or in your case, japanese cars against SAAB and Volvo maybe?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Member
v n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the roughv n sthlm is a jewel in the rough
Or just the "war of the market" betwen saab and volvo? its a bit more common with styling/tuning people but it's always been a bit of wich is the most swedish car etc etc.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
Wouldn't it be more like 10-12 pages?

Why not write it on competition within industry, the entry of Japanese firms into the US market, ... something like that if you've been exposed to game theory?
Your topic sounds fine, but I agree with Guest. Game theory was my favorite topic in economics by far. It would be very interesting to examine as it relates to the global auto industry.

Last edited by PorscheAudi; 03-11-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
If you are stuck in the automotive field you could compare the UAW vs vehicles made else where. Easy topic to research.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Teamspeed Member
RickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you so much for the advice guys! Competition within the industry could be great fun, I'll talk to my supervisor today and see where it goes. Otherwise I might do something on the Black market. We'll see!