Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Talk to me about diesel cars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Ummm, what to say... They use diesel fuel.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
I disagree with this. Because of the much higher compression diesel engines must run, the components are far, far stronger. Generally you are not going to run into the problems you do with a gas engine as they are somewhat simpler. You're removing the whole spark related apparati from the equation. The blocks are stronger, the pistons, crank, rods, all stronger. They wear much better than gasoline engines over time.
Yep, the blocks and internals are stronger, for sure. However, when's the last time you heard of a rod failure in a stock car?
Most of the time, it's the accessories (water pump, oil pump, timing chain ... etc etc) that give ... and diesel or gas makes little difference considering most cars are good to be scrapped before 200k miles.

In a tractor truck, I can see diesel being an advantage (regardless of power delivery pros). Not for a car.

Keep the oil burners away from our roads.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
I Drove a Fabia VRS for 6 months, it had the VW 1.5 TDI and I loved it. 45mpg average and service was cheap. I put 15k on it and then sold it to a friend who's still got it to this day, over 90k on the odo and it still runs and feels like the day I sold it to him, he had no major problems with the car, I think its been chipped as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is anything TDI from VW group is a great DD imo.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by Zorro
Yep, the blocks and internals are stronger, for sure. However, when's the last time you heard of a rod failure in a stock car?
Most of the time, it's the accessories (water pump, oil pump, timing chain ... etc etc) that give ... and diesel or gas makes little difference considering most cars are good to be scrapped before 200k miles.

In a tractor truck, I can see diesel being an advantage (regardless of power delivery pros). Not for a car.

Keep the oil burners away from our roads.
Fair point on the accessories. But the internals are the big concern for higher mileage.

Have you tried the Q7 TDI?

I wish we had the V10 TDI's here. Diesels get such better mileage it's stupid. I'm all for gasoline in sports cars, even though I find Audi's progress with the R10/R15 impressive. However, in SUVs and light trucks, there's no excuse for using the gas V8s which just SUCK fuel (think Range Rover... Damn I wish we had TD's on this side of the pond). Bottom line a diesel will get better mileage and with minor programming changes they often outperform their gasoline counterparts.

Given the variety of fuels that can be used and the far better mpg's of diesels, they are a much better alternative than electric powered vehicles everyone is hell bent on pursuing.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
sold VWs for the last 2.5 years.......buy a Jetta TDi or the A3 if you prefer a hatchback

the 2011 TDi will soon be out and I say it's a looker

The engine does hold up at 25k miles a year, in fact, I wouldn't buy one unless I was doing such miles

good luck

Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
barebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond repute
I have a VW Golf TDI. It has 350k km on it(I drive..... ALLOT) and is still going strong. I love the little car, it fits in everywhere. I like driving the diesel now more than gas cars. Check out the 2011 vw golf hatchback with the diesel. My mother who has been a devotee of Japanese cars for 15 years just decided to go with one. After seeing how well my car has stayed together she wants to get one now.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Audi A3s are cool. I didn't know they made a diesel that would be cool as well.

I've got a neighbor with a VW diesel wagon and he gets 700 miles per tank. His commute is like 35 miles each way a day and he's had it for like 6 years. Crazy good mileage and they will last a very long time.

Tho different my Semi's at work are capable well above 1.5 million miles. When I get tired of the Mini I might go for that cool little A3 Audi. Atomic has one and loves it. Audi makes a good product imho

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Get an A3 Tdi. It's bullet proof. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
My buddy has a highly modified TDi Jetta. That thing is so much fun to drive. Nothing better than flooring it at a light with black smoke blinding the cars behind you.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Teamspeed Member
jenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura aboutjenswillemen has a spectacular aura about
Wow it's so crazy you Americans are not used to diesels haha!

You only almost see diesels in Europe. For a DD they drive so much better imho.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about diesel cars.