Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

My review of the Hyundai Elantra versus a Chevy Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Talking My review of the Hyundai Elantra versus a Chevy Malibu

This is partially a joke, but partially serious.

Having flown home for Christmas, I rented a car like I usually do. The 'victim'; A 2010 Chevy Malibu. I pick up mid-sized cars b/c I never know if I'm going to pile a few friends in the car to go out to dinner or what ever. And I like the size of the car.

Little did I know this would NOT be my only car-rental this trip.

As everyone knows, the snow storm that hit New England and the East Coast affected hundreds of thousands of people. I was no exception.

I drove to Logan to get answers from Continental as they were kind enough to cease answering the phone. Immediately as I started driving I realized what a massive POS the Chevy was. ABS went off several times as it was EASY (read- pathetic) to throw the car off balance. The ABS reminded me of the domestic cars in the '80s and '90s- you know, when it goes off you're like 'WHAT the fvck is going on?' and you take your foot off the pedal b/c you feel like the car is going into convulsions. The traction was just as bad. The tires had plenty of meat on them as the car only had about 10k miles on it. Yet, it didn't really want to move in the snow, even sliding out the rear several times. Granted, I can drive like an asshole and/or like I stole it- but the cars traction and braking didn't seem any different than a Chevy ten years old.

Enter my new whip for the next 10+ hours: 2010 Hyundai Elantra.

As soon as I looked inside I was excited as it had an Ipod hook up and XM radio. Hmmmmm I thought, this *might* not be that bad a trip. But I was still very skeptical. I've never spent any time in a Hyundai let alone 700 mile trip. So this is going to be interesting.

IMMEDIATELY as I'm pulling away from my snow-logged spot from the rental car agency the car felt very well planted and traction wasn't an issue at all. No tire spin. Maybe the car was just down on power. We'll see.

Getting onto I90 West I was hauling ass. I left Boston at around 2:30pm and wanted to be home around 1am at the latest. I hooked up my iphone, started listening to iTunes and charged my phone. 'excellent' I said to myself.

I pulled into my complex at 12:40AM - Averaged 74mph with an average 36mpg on the highway.

The 10 hour ride was pretty damn comfortable for my 5'11" frame. The seat was NO where as annoying as the Malibu and the overall fit and finish was waaayyyyyyyy above the Chevy. Even the plastic felt more expensive. Power on the HW was easy-peasy. 2.0 I4 with 4 Speed Auto. It even had a power sunroof and with a base price of $16,895 for the 2010 Elantra GLS Versus

Chevy Malibu 1LT- base price of $19,935..

I did this as partially a joke; but honestly, you wanna know whats wrong with Chevy?

Rent one of their cars. Then rent a competitor.

Hands down if it were my money, I'd pick up a Hyundai over a Chevy any day of the week.

Attached Images    
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
I rented the Malibu a few times and loved it. The 4cyl / 6speed w/ paddles is a great combo IMO. The traction control and ABS on domestics is generally set pretty pessimistically, and thanks to the gov't you won't be able to disable it. Fat tires are actually a hindrance in the snow, and those tires on the Hyndai look pretty narrow.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
you're blaming the US Government on why the Chevy's traction control and ABS sucks?

That's a new one.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
burnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond repute
You rented 2 eco-boxes in the snow and have no videos of you screwing around?

Disappointed.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
my primary objective was to 'get home'. LOL

Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
you're blaming the US Government on why the Chevy's traction control and ABS sucks?

That's a new one.
Right, that's EXACTLY what I said.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by sean
I rented the Malibu a few times and loved it. The 4cyl / 6speed w/ paddles is a great combo IMO. The traction control and ABS on domestics is generally set pretty pessimistically, and thanks to the gov't you won't be able to disable it. Fat tires are actually a hindrance in the snow, and those tires on the Hyndai look pretty narrow.
Here, for your viewing pleasure I highlighted the part where you cited the government.

Shutting it off isn't relevent to the CRAPPINESS of either the ABS or traction control system.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet! Nice pick-up. Rep!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
haha

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Does this mean you're going to be transferring to the local Hyundai dealership? I'm sure they'd love to have someone of your caliber there. You should change your name to "Jeremy Clarkson" on your resume and just say "more POWAAAA" during the interview and I bet you'll get the job.

Quick Reply: My review of the Hyundai Elantra versus a Chevy Malibu