Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

KTM XBow Superlight vs. Ariel Atom: A Photoshoot w/ SilverSurfer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond repute
KTM XBow Superlight vs. Ariel Atom: A Photoshoot w/ SilverSurfer

There are many pivotal moments in life. Some pass anonymously; others happen as one precariously dangles 80 feet in the air from a fishing boat crane in a basket made for burning garbage at sea, while shooting photos of cars most people will never see in person. What kind of cars? Two of the most open-to-the-elements and raw cars produced today: the KTM Xbow Superlight and the Ariel Atom. We all have seen the Top Gear episode where the Atom distorts Clarkson’s face, but what about the Xbow? This car is the unsung hero of the super light, open wheel, sports car class. Considering that we are talking about two-thirds of that class (the Caterham 7 makes up the final third)—the lack of press on the Xbow surprises me. With a body completely made of carbon fiber, this car looks like nothing you have ever seen before. The only thing I can compare it to is Frenzy, the little robot from Transformers 2.

Anyway, while I was shooting the cars from the dock I saw the deck hand repositioning the charred basket, but didn’t think much of it until, with a loud clang, he dropped it down right in front of me. Annoyed that he had ruined my vantage point, I looked over at Ben to see if he was in agreement.

“Get in,” he said. I laughed and started looking for a new spot to shoot from. “No— for real, get in the basket,” he added. First of all, I am not one to be scared of heights, but the structural integrity of a thin metal basket used for burning garbage might not be as high as I’d like it to be, considering that it would be holding me high above a concrete dock. Hesitantly, I climbed into the singed basket, and the crane began lifting it. When the basket finally stopped about 80 feet off the dock, I was a bit taken aback by my situation. There I was suspended by a boat in Seattle’s famous Fisherman’s Terminal (where the boats in Deadliest Catch depart from,) looking out over the water, taking photos of two cars most people will never even see in real life—all because of a camera my parents bought me for Christmas a few years ago.

“What are you doing?” someone yelled at me. I had been so caught up in thinking about how awesome this was that I hadn’t even taken any pictures yet. So with the basket slowly drifting back and forth in the wind, I timed my shots. It was like trying to take photos of a stationary object while sitting on a Ferris wheel. I made the most of it though, and after about 15 minutes, I was safely on solid ground with some of my favorite automotive shots to date. The day wasn’t over though; it was time for a location change.

I hopped in the Xbow, and we took off into the hills of Seattle in search of a new spot. We were quickly losing the light, and just when it seemed like we were going to have to call it a wrap, we came across a vacant construction site. Initially it seemed pretty bland, and it faced the wrong way relative to the sun. However, when we rounded the corner it was a different story.

I want to extend a huge thank you to Ben and Blake of NWAS for bringing me along, as well as to crane operator guy for not killing me in his burn bucket. This really was the most fun I have ever had on a photo shoot, and I thank you guys for bringing me out. To the rest of you, I hope you enjoyed the story, and if you are just here for the pictures, I hope you like those too (although if you’re just here for the pics, you aren’t reading this anyway).

Have a good day and hope you like the pics

Old 12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing photos, Cooper! Sounds like you had a pretty awesome day.

Is the KTM sold in the US now? I didn't realize it was street legal...

Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Nice license plate placement ... oh wait.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Sah-weet!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
silversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond repute
For a couple of reasons, I prefer to keep the plates out of sight for photoshoots honestly.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics, it was a blast doing this shoot.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
very cool, the cars look cool together

Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome shoot! Looks like you had a great time!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Igor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond reputeIgor has a reputation beyond repute
D.O.P.E--love the rig to take the birds eye.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM
PJS
Teamspeed Senior Member
PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
atom ftw

Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Hope you guys enjoy the pics, it was a blast doing this shoot.
Understatement of the year!

Quick Reply: KTM XBow Superlight vs. Ariel Atom: A Photoshoot w/ SilverSurfer