Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

The making of the Sir Mix-a-Lot "Carz" Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond repute
We shot in multiple locations over several weeks. Anthony needed a bunch of different locations, but all of these shots in this photo group were shot in two different locations. These two were at the airport we rented for most of the day. If you want to rent an airport, get ready for a lot of work. Not only do you have security issues, it's very expensive, and complicated to manage.

There were more than 50 of us out working on the shoot that day and the logistics take a lot of cooperation. I think what was the most impressive is that Anthony is a real friend to most of us up here. He participates in every drive, and is truly a car guy so it was easy to pull together all the owners as we all know each other and have a great time together.

Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond reputeTommyJames has a reputation beyond repute
There is a scene where a matching airplane has to fly in formation with two Ferraris and this shot was by far the most complicated. The plane had to signal the guys in the Ferraris to go and then all meet at the first quarter of the runway so they could run together. We finally nailed it. It shows up as a slow motion scene in the video. It's very cool!

Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The SSC Ultimate Aero is in the lyrics and it made some incredibly impressive runs. There were a few prior critics who were there who were new to the car and were blown away when it managed 198 on the runway that day. I could only get up to 178 in the same length.

Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
It was fun to actually speed with the car with no fear of tickets. There is an impressive helicopter shot in the video.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
This time with photos...

Attached Images     
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The people you see in these shots are the people actually involved in the video. Because of the times and locations, there were few spectators who knew what we were doing.

Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BTW, that first photo above is Anthony just below the stop sign. That's now we normally know him. The crew was shooting just the cars so all of the owners were off to the side with Anthony.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I first met these two when I was out on a drive one day this summer. Turned out they were both car girls and wanted pictures of my SV. Both are seniors in high school and live about 70 miles north of Seattle. I contacted their parents and asked them to be a part of it. You can't shoot a video and not have cute girls, right? I let them drive the Phantom for the shoot and the run you see in the video is the blonde driving. The brunette is my passenger in the SV for most of the takes. They had a GREAT time!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I'm having trouble uploading the photos so I'll try again later.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Tom, this video is going to be incredible! It's so awesome to see a bunch of TS members not just supporting Anthony but actually being in the video with their cars! I can't wait to see it! I wish I could make it out there for the release party. It'd be great to meet you and Anthony since I missed you both when I was there in August.

Have fun at the aprty on Saturday!

Quick Reply: The making of the Sir Mix-a-Lot "Carz" Video