Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Umm yeah...these might be toast

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Umm yeah...these might be toast

So I noticed the Bently, sorry the Silverado, making a strange noise during braking 2 days ago. Cursory visual inspection of the wheels/rotors and nothing is out of the ordinary.

Fast forward to today and on the ride home it goes from noise (not the squeal tab noise -- never heard that) to full on grinding. WTF!!

I call the local brake place and they want me to wait until Thursday to bring it in. I did say "grinding noise" sir....waiting is unsat.

So i grab new pads at NAPA "just in case", head to baseball practice with Gobbles Jr, then get home and pull the wheels to take a look.

Umm yeah..... I would say these are toast. New pads on the front and everything is right as rain.

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
I did the same thing on an '03 (2500/8.1L) Van. Did it for 3 week's due to my boss lazy nature with the parts truck. When it finally was addressed I was brought into the GM's office on why I didn't respect company cars....

thankfully they never caught on to the agressive tire wear or even the exhaust cutouts I created one slow Saturday morning....

Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
So we're still taking your truck to training??

Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
So we're still taking your truck to training??
Yep. Put the new pads on tonight. All set. Just need to wash it.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't bother washing it. It'll get dirty as F down there. And let me know if you're crashing at my place on Saturday... (no pun intended)

Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Full of Win.
I wouldn't bother washing it. It'll get dirty as F down there. And let me know if you're crashing at my place on Saturday... (no pun intended)
Yeah that is the plan. Not sure when on Saturday but I should be over early evening I would think.

Might talk to some other folks about a plate carrier tomorrow. Something tells me the 40 lb rig they handed me today is gonna get old fast, and my spidey sense tells me someone is gonna make me drag you off the X just for giggles.

Do not want!

Anyway, I'll try to give you a call later this week to go over the final load out. Saturday night will be too late to deal with anything missing.

Last edited by Gobbles; 04-06-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Watch this space.
Well if you come by sooner, we can make a stop at the tactical store... Or you can hit it on your way over (Quantico Tactical Supply). I am going to order my next plate carrier from TAG or AWS. I'll PM you some links if you want.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Full of Win.
Well if you come by sooner, we can make a stop at the tactical store... Or you can hit it on your way over (Quantico Tactical Supply). I am going to order my next plate carrier from TAG or AWS. I'll PM you some links if you want.
That would be ideal but Saturday is booked for me. We have the opening day game at 1:45 so I couldn't make it out there until very late afternoon at the earliest.

I'll get it sorted, no worries.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Full of Win.
The rest of you chaps ignore the above -- and marvel at my brake pads worn down to the metal.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Watch this space.
Check yo brakes, Gobblesesses....

Quick Reply: Umm yeah...these might be toast