Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

1983 DeLorean DMC 12 - Not so Quick Lap

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow 1983 DeLorean DMC 12 - Not so Quick Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtqgwQy5lIY

Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
I've only seen manual DeLoreans...

Last edited by TeutonicCarFan; 01-06-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished road
Dmc

There were some autos made. My friend owns one. Not as quick off the line, but a reliable transmission.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
I always liked these cars!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished roadjammer96 is on a distinguished road
Delorean

They are pretty reliable as long as they're used and maintained properly. Upgrades are available now to make them even better. My friend has LED lights on his so you don't drain the battery when have doors open at car shows. He had his door open for 8 hours at a show and after the show the car started right up. He's getting an Eibach suspension package to smooth out the ride. It still has the original shocks right now. Higher ouput alternators are also available. The best one is the one offered by Special T Auto with an 110amp output.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I'm curious as to why one would buy one of those unless they are a raging Star Wars lunatic who regularly dresses up as, uh, whatever those people dress up as. I've never watched that, and quite frankly - those cars were shit alltogether down to the wheel bolts. So what's the dealio?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Teamspeed Member
SpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyGiraffe has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with Jox, I have always hated these cars. They look cheap and are slow and lame. But to each their own and if you like them then go for it, just not my style.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
You can buy a brand new, factory fresh Delorean for only $65K!!! Not even kidding. I looked it up the other day...

Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Had one. It broke every time it was driven. Getting hit in the head with the door was a common occurance, as the door shocks would only last a year at best. The build quality was quite poor as the car was a shadow of what John Delorean originally intended it to be. The front facia is taken directly from a 1980 Chevy Cavalier. The engine makes a whopping 130 hp, which might get you to 88mph with a strong tail wind. The car is a death trap in an accident due to the gullwing doors.
When they started building new Deloreans from old parts, it destroyed any chance of the car being worthy anything, so some clown that wanted to turn it into the Back to the Future car for his 50th birthday bought it. He offered to send me pictures of the car as he converted it, I told him I'd rather get venereal disease than ever see that thing again.
The only car I've driven that was a more miserable experience was a Ferrari 308.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh
Had one. It broke every time it was driven. Getting hit in the head with the door was a common occurance, as the door shocks would only last a year at best. The build quality was quite poor as the car was a shadow of what John Delorean originally intended it to be. The front facia is taken directly from a 1980 Chevy Cavalier. The engine makes a whopping 130 hp, which might get you to 88mph with a strong tail wind. The car is a death trap in an accident due to the gullwing doors.
When they started building new Deloreans from old parts, it destroyed any chance of the car being worthy anything, so some clown that wanted to turn it into the Back to the Future car for his 50th birthday bought it. He offered to send me pictures of the car as he converted it, I told him I'd rather get venereal disease than ever see that thing again.
The only car I've driven that was a more miserable experience was a Ferrari 308.

I love the 308

But I agree with the rest of your post pretty much, they were terrable cars. The ONLY reason they have some appeal is the movie. Witout the movie, it would be 100% flop Im sure.

Quick Reply: 1983 DeLorean DMC 12 - Not so Quick Lap