Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

2009 Hummer H3T revealed ahead of Chicago debut

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 10:33 PM
DJ
|
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post 2009 Hummer H3T revealed ahead of Chicago debut

Hummer will be adding a new model to its lineup in the form of the H3T pickup, due to make its world debut at next month’s Chicago Auto Show. The new truck is based on the current entry-level H3 SUV, which means it will be available with the same 3.7L Atlas straight five engine as well as a 5.3L V8 engine in an Alpha version.

Old 01-26-2008 | 01:08 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool looking truck. It's a shame that the haters have put such a hurting on the brand. For being a division for such a short time, they've made some good vehicles and have shown innovation and promise for improvement in both on and off road performance for street legal light trucks.

Hopefully the concept that premiered at NAIAS will become a reality and GM will pursue clean diesel and other alternative fuels in order to stifle the haters.

Old 01-26-2008 | 03:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond repute
call me a hater...but that thing is ugly...and innovation mostly happens in the parts bin since these trucks use the same chassis/engines etc as other GM offerings.

EDIT:

I wholeheartedly apologize for my post in post #8 down below.

Last edited by sheynk; 01-28-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2008 | 11:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheynk
call me a hater...but that thing is ugly...and innovation mostly happens in the parts bin since these trucks use the same chassis/engines etc as other GM offerings.

Do your homework. While there is some parts sharing, there are plenty of unique parts. While the H3 borrows more from the Colorado platform than the H2 borrows from the 2500 series truck/suv line, the vehicles have proven themselves worthy of respect in independent testing against other OEM vehicles. NO OEM vehicle compares with a purpose-built tube-framed off-road buggy. Also, if a mfgr takes a box frame, changes it's dimensions and suspension mounts and puts on a very different suspension, can we really call it the same chassis?

Now, my 996 Turbo S shares parts with the Boxster, some Audis and some VWs and there is also a lot of cooperative design between the three companies. Should I go out and declare my car a POS? What about the Ferraris- are they simply overpriced Fiats? Should we go vandalize some LX570s due to their poor gas mileage, I mean, after all, they're just rebadged Toyotas.

I think you just hate what you believe the Hummer brand stands for. Pretending that you dislike the vehicles due to platform sharing should make you hate every brand on the market; admit it, the platform sharing schtick is just a front to try to rationalize your feelings. Maybe, like many other intellectual college-aged males, there's even a propensity to hate because you associate it with the typical "ugly American". I've probed Hummer haters thoughts and feelings because I've found the phenomenon a bit interesting, and almost without fail, I've found a shared personality trait of cynicism, narcissism and overt preoccupation with other peoples' business. Now, I'm NOT trying to insult you or make you like Hummers, but in Truck Trend and other rags, against Range Rovers, H1s, Jeeps, LCs and GWagens, the Hummers have proven themselves worthy vehicles. I don't own a Hummer either, but I have owned both an H1 and an H2.

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant future
It is different, that is for sure. I'm more of an H1 kind of guy. But I am interested in the HXT or what ever the concept Hummer is...

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by JIMBO
It is different, that is for sure. I'm more of an H1 kind of guy. But I am interested in the HXT or what ever the concept Hummer is...
I think that if Hummer wants to survive, they'll need to redefine themselves as a brand for people who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle and distance themselves from the urban suv/rapper and soccer mom crowds. This has been Jeep's key to survival- never hitting a home run but always keeping their core enthusiasts.

The HXT and other small SUVs with excellent off-road capability are a step in the right direction. Add diesels/biodiesels and flexfuels to the lineup. Get rid of the car interiors and go with interiors that can be hosed/sponged down like the Jeeps and FJs.

From a perspective of seeing some NBA pimp in his dropped H2 with 26's blasting his bass at the stoplight and the soccer mom who never uses the truck's capabilities, I certainly can understand the eye rolling. It's disappointing to people that really enjoy their Hummers for what they are to be grouped in with the gangbangers and bovine soccer moms and Hummer/GM needs to fix this problem if they want to remain a viable division.

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant futureJIMBO has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ajindfw
I think that if Hummer wants to survive, they'll need to redefine themselves as a brand for people who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle and distance themselves from the urban suv/rapper and soccer mom crowds. This has been Jeep's key to survival- never hitting a home run but always keeping their core enthusiasts.

The HXT and other small SUVs with excellent off-road capability are a step in the right direction. Add diesels/biodiesels and flexfuels to the lineup. Get rid of the car interiors and go with interiors that can be hosed/sponged down like the Jeeps and FJs.

From a perspective of seeing some NBA pimp in his dropped H2 with 26's blasting his bass at the stoplight and the soccer mom who never uses the truck's capabilities, I certainly can understand the eye rolling. It's disappointing to people that really enjoy their Hummers for what they are to be grouped in with the gangbangers and bovine soccer moms and Hummer/GM needs to fix this problem if they want to remain a viable division.
I totally agree. When (hopefully) they come out with the HXT, I'll be first in line to get one. And the first thing I'll do is yank the carpet and bedline the floor and underside. The concept is totally spot on to what I'd like, but they always seem to change, mostly for the worse, when they do come out. I have been offroading with an H2 and an H3 before when I had my hopped up Wrangler. The H2 did pretty well, and the H3 just barely made it on the entry trail to the offroad site. But I will keep my fingers crossed with the HXT, and maybe when they do that, they'll change their minds and bring back the H1.

Old 01-28-2008 | 04:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond repute
damn thats a lot of hate man chill out

I like h1. Nissan Patrol. G-Wagen. LM002. Defender.

Those cars are tanks. The H2/3 etc are just brand derivatives made to capitalize on the hummer name. I'm not an SUV guy ... but I really have nothing against luxury SUVs.... just feel like the hummer name was whored out because the first one was such a cool poster car. If a ferrari badge was put on a Fiat 500, people would have no issue hating that car... this is the exact same concept...perhaps I took the wrong approach at expressing my "hate" and for that I'm sorry

Last edited by sheynk; 01-28-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2008 | 07:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by sheynk
damn thats a lot of hate man chill out

I like h1. Nissan Patrol. G-Wagen. LM002. Defender.

Those cars are tanks. The H2/3 etc are just brand derivatives made to capitalize on the hummer name. I'm not an SUV guy ... but I really have nothing against luxury SUVs.... just feel like the hummer name was whored out because the first one was such a cool poster car. If a ferrari badge was put on a Fiat 500, people would have no issue hating that car... this is the exact same concept...perhaps I took the wrong approach at expressing my "hate" and for that I'm sorry

No worries, bro'- as I said in my post, no intent to insult you or change your mind. Just my observation on the very strong hate that has been thrown at the Hummer brand, when in fact, they're pretty decent vehicles, seems to be more of an anti-establishment or anti-Americanism than any hate rooted in legitimacy. And there's no question that if we wrote a book on the last fifty years of GM regarding what they've done wrong and what they've done right, the wrong part would be far longer. GM and Ford deserve every bit of the a** kicking they're taking- hopefully they'll change their entitlement mentality and get back in the race. They've certainly improved many of their vehicles, so I have hope.

Certainly no hate toward you.