Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.

Vertical Garage Doors....straight up and down...any advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Vertical Garage Doors....straight up and down...any advice ?

Looking for some ideas and manufacturers of a straight up and down garage door system.

I want to replace my overhead pulling mechanism with a wall mounted door that is flush to the wall when fully open. I have enough ceiling height to do it, and the door does not have to scroll.

Any ideas or pics of this set up ? thanks in advance

The main goal is to eliminate all of the overhead steelwork seen with traditional garage door openers....purely for aesthetics only

Something similar to this....

Attached Images  

Last edited by RufMD; 02-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Teamspeed Member
latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
My buddy has the iDrive openers.

Residential Garage Door Openers | Wayne-Dalton

They are small, quiet and pretty fast. They can also be set up with different settings of varying openess, etc. He also extended his tracking vertically so that he loses only about 10" of his 14 ft ceilings even though the doors rest overhead in a traditional format.

Not sure about the doors, but I think the iDrive could be mounted high along with extended tracking. I believe JG posted pics of his doors on F-chat in the "Enzo Garage" thread. The track kinks/shifts so that the door kicks away from the wall as it rises.

Painting the tracks your wall color might also help the ugly hardware "disappear."

Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by latterlon
My buddy has the iDrive openers.

Residential Garage Door Openers | Wayne-Dalton

They are small, quiet and pretty fast. They can also be set up with different settings of varying openess, etc. He also extended his tracking vertically so that he loses only about 10" of his 14 ft ceilings even though the doors rest overhead in a traditional format.

Not sure about the doors, but I think the iDrive could be mounted high along with extended tracking. I believe JG posted pics of his doors on F-chat in the "Enzo Garage" thread. The track kinks/shifts so that the door kicks away from the wall as it rises.

Painting the tracks your wall color might also help the ugly hardware "disappear."
thanks for that, I will check out that thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Not a vertical system, but have you checked out Hydroswing doors? You can get the entire door (or wall for that matter) to open out as one piece, versus opening to the interior and taking space.

http://www.hydroswing.com/index.php

Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gobbles
Not a vertical system, but have you checked out Hydroswing doors? You can get the entire door (or wall for that matter) to open out as one piece, versus opening to the interior and taking space.

HYDROSWING ? Hydraulic Overhead Doors

Interesting, but I'd be worried about parked cars outside getting hit if the door was opened from inside the garage....and other clearance issues with cars parked in the driveway..better safe than sorry !

Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Jas you just want to get rid of the openers? Get the ones I have. Wall mounted on the inside of the garage door and the only thing sticking out is the garage door track. Possibly that could be mounted differently.

Liftmaster 3800 openers and my only complaint is the remotes go thru batteries too quickly because they light up at night and it burns em down

3800 - DC Motor Residential Jackshaft Opener

They look good as well I think
Mark

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Jas, my buddy Steve Patterson, the Ferrari enthusiast in Naples with the garage we both love, has vertical doors. I'll see if I can get any info from him.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by h20skier
Jas you just want to get rid of the openers? Get the ones I have. Wall mounted on the inside of the garage door and the only thing sticking out is the garage door track. Possibly that could be mounted differently.

Liftmaster 3800 openers and my only complaint is the remotes go thru batteries too quickly because they light up at night and it burns em down

3800 - DC Motor Residential Jackshaft Opener

They look good as well I think
Mark
Mark, thats the motor setup I like, but my ceilings are really high and the metal trusses hanging down are huge...would love to eliminate them all together by just going vertical.

Russ, that info from Steve Pattersons vertical setup would be great !

Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles

HYDROSWING ? Hydraulic Overhead Doors
Might use this for my poolroom.... thanx

Quick Reply: Vertical Garage Doors....straight up and down...any advice ?