Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.

Need ideas for a new garage...

Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond repute
Need ideas for a new garage...

Wife is not happy with me using up the garage for the turbo and M3 so we decided to do a new addition to replace the 2 car garage with a 3 and also get some added living space over the garage at the same time. Since I get to do this from scratch, I'm looking for ideas on what types of materials to use for flooring, walls etc.

My current garage floor was poured with regular concrete and its been dusty from day 1 and over the years pitted and stained, I've tried painting but over time it started to peel so this time around I want to do it right. So let's hear your ideas, especially you guys with the custom garages.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Try using a gel coat or epoxy over the concrete floors this time. You can have it colored however you like and it's virtually indestructible.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
This sounds like its going to be a very fun project.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
sparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nice
How about THIS. I see the ad in the Robb Report all the time and I am not sure whether or not this is the same company, but underground storage would allow you to house 6 cars instead of 3.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Dave check with our new vendor Dannmar for lifts, I brought them on here especially to get us great pricing on these and other garage items.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe let's also so a showcase " Garage build from scratch" thread in the garage section for ya ?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
speedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to allspeedshift is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Dave(MA)
Wife is not happy with me using up the garage for the turbo and M3 so we decided to do a new addition to replace the 2 car garage with a 3 and also get some added living space over the garage at the same time. Since I get to do this from scratch, I'm looking for ideas on what types of materials to use for flooring, walls etc.
My current garage floor was poured with regular concrete and its been dusty from day 1 and over the years pitted and stained, I've tried painting but over time it started to peel so this time around I want to do it right. So let's hear your ideas, especially you guys with the custom garages
Dave,

Congratulations on your new project, I wanted to chime in and provide some feed back regarding your floor issue. I would look into Colored Concrete (Stamped) if you are doing it from scratch as it will not fade or peel. Epoxy can work well if the conditions are perfect but usually fades or peels regardless of what they tell you. The second option I would look into is Swisstrax or Racedeck Flooring, these companies can do whatever you want. BMER logos on the M3 side and Ferrari Logos on the Ferrari side all wrapped in checkers ect. I would also build the Garage high enough to raise two cars and stack them in the future. This car bug only gets worse and more cars are on the way so its not if its when correct ? if you have 10' ceilings you can stack two sports cars easily and have a 6 car garage in the future so plan wisely.

Regards,

Gabe
Dannmar

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
Gabe,
Dave is a good buddy of ours here so hook him up!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
sparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nice
So I was mostly joking about the underground lift, but if there is a large budget an above ground lift would certainly be nice.

Don't forget to allow for lots of light fixtures and electrical plugs.

Build some decent storage - a generously sized storage closet will allow you to store extra wheels and other parts out of sight and keep the garage neat looking. Good storage will save you from spending as much on expensive cabinets too.

I like the epoxy fleck floor coatings - we have a local company that offers lifetime warranties (of coarse they could go out of business though).

Make sure you plumb in hot and cold water for year-around car washes. My new hot/cold faucet is about my favorite garage addition and I use it every week.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
AAHTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Dave(MA)
My current garage floor was poured with regular concrete and its been dusty from day 1 and over the years pitted and stained, I've tried painting but over time it started to peel so this time around I want to do it right. So let's hear your ideas, especially you guys with the custom garages

Do you like this? you can do it yourself in one day

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need ideas for a new garage...