Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.

Need ideas for a new big garage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond repute
I honestly don't see how you could make an eighty car garage architecturally interesting (from the outside). Something that big will, IMO, detract from your home unless you build the majority of it underground. I would buy or build an offsite storage facility and keep a 10-car structure at the house.

As far as dust, my neighbor has a two-stage setup, so your garage has an entrance garage that is separate from the main garage. The entrance houses a car wash so that when you enter, you can clean/wash the car and be inside but not yet in the main garage.

Last edited by JarodL; 06-29-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

there you go. Just put 10 of these.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JarodL
I honestly don't see how you could make an eighty car garage architecturally interesting (from the outside). Something that big will, IMO, detract from your home unless you build the majority of it underground.
Personally, I think that is subject to some debate. Depending on the size of the property, its proximity to the main house area and architectural style of the house, a barn-styled structure of that size can look really nice, and not at all out of proportion. Barns by nature are meant to be large. Just about any other styled structure of that size will most likely look like nothing more than an oversized house or an office/industrial building.

I think the barn in this pic would be big enough for what Mike is planning and I don't think it looks too large at all. Just so long as it is located far enough away from the house.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
RDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond repute
Pffhh, a real man would step up to a 100 car garage. Slacker.

Actually, if you are doing a restoration/work area make sure you have it sealed off from the clean room/presentation room. It's really a PITA to have to put plastic drop clothes or covers over everything just to do work. My thoughts on something that size would be 15% dedicated to fabrication/construction with lifts, tools, storage, etc. 15% dedicated to dyno/tuning/car washing/cleaning. 70% show room & lounge. Maybe a barn like the above picture with a second floor open loft as a lounge? You could even to as far as putting a 4 post lift up to the second floor loft area and store/display a few cars up there.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JarodL
I honestly don't see how you could make an eighty car garage architecturally interesting (from the outside). Something that big will, IMO, detract from your home unless you build the majority of it underground. I would buy or build an offsite storage facility and keep a 10-car structure at the house.

As far as dust, my neighbor has a two-stage setup, so your garage has an entrance garage that is separate from the main garage. The entrance houses a car wash so that when you enter, you can clean/wash the car and be inside but not yet in the main garage.
The property is on a farm, there are dairy cows and sheep! There is MORE than enough space!

I was thinking about the two stage setup, but will have the wash bay elsewhere as if I want to drive or move one of the vehicles while somebody is busy washing it would be a bit inconvenient.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
I'm interested to see how this turns out!!

Lighting like this would be awesome, even if the exterior is traditional.

Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I am actually in the same boat as you, Mike. Let me know what you come across!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly,if I was thinking of building a big garage for my cars,the walls would have to be made out of concrete or steel...and it would just have one big entrance,just like a hangar for aircraft.
just to give me sort of a sense of security.....for my head

I guess some fans would keep the dust buildup low

keep us posted

Last edited by ECB; 06-29-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE
I think the barn in this pic would be big enough for what Mike is planning and I don't think it looks too large at all. Just so long as it is located far enough away from the house.

that barns not big enough to touch 80 cars. if they were stacked you still would have an insane amount of moving cars all day long just to get to one.
you'd never ever get to the ones in the middle...That barns 50ft across max and probably 100ft long. conservative 6 long ways and 6 wide so you can access them double stacked is 72 but you couldn't do anything else..

80 cars would have to be 100x100 with stackers around the perimeter. 12 down each side *48 cars* 7 stackers on the back wall *14 more* this will allow adequte space down the middle to arrange your remaining 18 cars as a place to show them....Your wash bay is a different subject. you'll have to have a small wing or you will water all over the place plus you don't really have enough space to move the cars around. If you don't have this space you won't play with your toys.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
that barns not big enough to touch 80 cars. if they were stacked you still would have an insane amount of moving cars all day long just to get to one.
you'd never ever get to the ones in the middle...That barns 50ft across max and probably 100ft long. conservative 6 long ways and 6 wide so you can access them double stacked is 72 but you couldn't do anything else..

80 cars would have to be 100x100 with stackers around the perimeter. 12 down each side *48 cars* 7 stackers on the back wall *14 more* this will allow adequte space down the middle to arrange your remaining 18 cars as a place to show them....Your wash bay is a different subject. you'll have to have a small wing or you will water all over the place plus you don't really have enough space to move the cars around. If you don't have this space you won't play with your toys.
You are probably right. I just did a google search looking for some barn images and liked the looks of that one. The reality is that each car will need at least 200-250 sf of space plus a minimum of a 50% "circulation factor" for parking alone. Then factor in another 25% for wash bays/storage and workshop space and you are looking at 37,500 square feet. That amount of floor area could be cut down by as much as 50% with a combination of stacking car racks and a storage loft area. Either way, you will need at least 20,000 to 25,000 sf of floor area to make it work which is a huge footprint, but not uncommon for a barn-type structure. I'm just saying that as a styling exercise, a structure that looks like the pic I posted would look great in a farm setting and if it was scaled to the 20-25k sf range it would look good

Quick Reply: Need ideas for a new big garage