Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

Laser interceptor testing

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Laser interceptor testing

Had an interesting day today. A number of guys from the radar/laser forums got together, a few flying in from the Other Coast, to do some testing on various setups. Having just installed a Laser Interceptor, I joined in wanting to know if my money was well spent.

The testing site was a clear, flat loading dock about 800 feet long. Clear shot for the lasers, safe for the drivers and no chance of encountering pedestrians, oncoming cars, LEO's.

The state of the art laser guns were there, and more importantly, the ones used most frequently in my state.

Results for the 997 were impressive to say the least. Black car, low profile, properly installed diodes = several JTG's.

The laser nest

The lineup

Real nice TTRS behind me in the queue

Made about 20-30 runs back and forth that day. Speed 30 mph from about 800 feet out. Laser nest on the right side behind the short wall at the end of the strip. I can't hear the LI unit, but I think?? it was a Prolite???

Laser Interceptor testing - YouTube

Results in the attachment. Cars ranged from an S Class Merc, Honda Civic, Audi TT, Ford Fusion and Mustang, BMW 3 series. Most were running LI units, one fellow brought M47 Blinders which were utterly worthless and thus didn't even bother to post his results.

Summary: Black 997 with properly installed V8.9 LI dual heads (non-HP) can achieve JTG even with the most cutting edge LIDAR technology today (i.e. Truspeed S).
A lot of the punch thru's were due to faulty heads and/or improper installation.
Blinders are crap. They provide little to no protection and in some cases of the newer technology, don't even register being hit. If you have these, consider yourself unprotected.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2_25 SoCal Testing Sheet1.pdf (31.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Great info. With Lidar becoming the ticketing vehicle of choice in my neck of the woods, this is really useful. Guess I'll be looking for some LI installs this summer. Thanks Ed.