Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

Gadget Deals of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG
I don't have a manual watch, but I imagine part of the fun is winding it up before using it.
You are partly right. A mechanical watch is the type that requires user intervention for power (i.e., either wrist movement or winding the crown). Within this category you have the subset of manual wind, which requires the user to wind the crown regularly every few days. Another subset in the category of mechanical is automatic. These watches have two mechanisms for winding, either from the rotor that spins while you move your wrist (which is the principle behind why a watch winder works), or also by manually winding the crown. An manual wind has no benefit on a traditional watch winder; however, I have seen that Orbita makes a winder for manual winding watches that is ~$2k. This uses an arm that winds the crown and not movement like the winder for an automatic does.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
You are partly right. A mechanical watch is the type that requires user intervention for power (i.e., either wrist movement or winding the crown). Within this category you have the subset of manual wind, which requires the user to wind the crown regularly every few days. Another subset in the category of mechanical is automatic. These watches have two mechanisms for winding, either from the rotor that spins while you move your wrist (which is the principle behind why a watch winder works), or also by manually winding the crown. An manual wind has no benefit on a traditional watch winder; however, I have seen that Orbita makes a winder for manual winding watches that is ~$2k. This uses an arm that winds the crown and not movement like the winder for an automatic does.
Thanks for the info. I was a little unsure of the different types of manual watches.

Also: Whistler XTR-580 Laser-Radar Detector $45 Deal - Reviews and Compare Prices

^decent radar.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

subscribed!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
subscribed!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
clemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG
Thanks for the info. I was a little unsure of the different types of manual watches.

Also: Whistler XTR-580 Laser-Radar Detector $45 Deal - Reviews and Compare Prices

^decent radar.
Subscribed. I'm tempted to get that radar. How good is it? I just don't have the coin to drop on a nice radar like a V1

Old 04-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by clemson3
Subscribed. I'm tempted to get that radar. How good is it? I just don't have the coin to drop on a nice radar like a V1

Yea man I don't have the kind of money for a V1 either. I've heard that Whistler is a reputable brand and will get the job done in most cases (I've heard this from ex-policemen). I don't know anyone who actually has one though.

I'm assuming it will work for your average speed trap with a cop hiding around a bend in the road, but I don't think it will pick up more sophisticated traps; Probably need a V1 or some other 500usd radar detector.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Beltronis STi and I really like it. It is also one of 2 out there that can't be picked up by radar detector detectors... I drove 1500 miles from CA to TX in late February, and not one stop or ticket.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SoCal
I have a Beltronis STi and I really like it. It is also one of 2 out there that can't be picked up by radar detector detectors... I drove 1500 miles from CA to TX in late February, and not one stop or ticket.

Aren't those ~$400?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
For gadget deals the best site is dodtracker.com

It compiles all of the different "deal-a-day" sites into one easy to navigate screen.

Also, gizmodo.com does a really good daily deals blog post every day.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kraeburn
For gadget deals the best site is dodtracker.com

It compiles all of the different "deal-a-day" sites into one easy to navigate screen.

Also, gizmodo.com does a really good daily deals blog post every day.
nice. I didn't know about dodtracker

Icemonkey.com also has decent stuff sometimes.

Last edited by STLG; 04-14-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Gadget Deals of the Day