Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

Best Buy to announce "Buy Back" program during the Superbowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Best Buy to announce "Buy Back" program during the Superbowl

Got this interesting message from Best Buy today:

Because you're a valued Best Buy® customer, I want to personally tell you about a program we're launching during the "big game" this Sunday, Feb. 6. It's called the Buy Back Program and we're announcing it in a commercial during the third quarter, with stars like Justin Bieber and Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.

Buy Back is essentially "future-proofing" your technology. You purchase the technology you want today, and we'll buy it back at a set price when you're ready to upgrade to something new. You'll know upfront what your gear will be worth, and you can conveniently redeem your Buy Back at our stores and immediately receive a Best Buy Gift Card.

You already enjoy Reward Zone® benefits, and I hope you consider the advantages that Buy Back can provide. We're excited to introduce it in a big way on "big game" day. Be sure to tune in and learn more.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
There's no way that's cost-effective unless they front-load it (like a car lease). I'm curious to see what the "residuals" will be. I got the same email and deleted it. Sounds too good to be true. Personally, I was happy with the sale price and 36 mos no interest.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
This is based on the fact that - as studies have proven - only about 50% of people actually ever use gift cards.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I'm curious to see how this works out as well. Best Buy already grossly overcharges on the vast majority of their products so if this really is as sweet of a deal as I'm hoping, it might get me back into their stores again.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
I freakin hate Best Buy. Even if they were throwing in a lifetime supply of hookers and blow I would not do business with them. Obviously I kid about the hookers and blow, but you get my point.

Last edited by ambleZ06; 02-03-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ambleZ06
I freakin hate Best Buy. Even if they were throwing lifetime supply of hookers and blow I would not do business with them. Obviously I kid about the hookers and blow, but you get my point.
I figured you were kidding about the hookers and blow.

We'd both take that deal.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
BB had a buy back program for you to sell used items. I wonder if that's still available.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
That is pretty common in the high-end audio/video world. It is a great way to get people to keep upgrading. Just like a used car we would look up the current "value" in the audio/video blue book and make an offer. As the sales guy you might take a 20% hit on commissions (on the new product) but you get the volume and a long term client to go with it.

The issue is that the market is changing so fast now that we would never move the used stuff for even close to the value we paid for it to buy it back. We were working on 40% standard margin, Best Buy shoots for a 18% standard margin and is still making money at 12% as a single location.

There is no way this can work in a large scale big box store with razor thin margins. The amount of stagnant inventory will go through the roof.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
This is based on the fact that - as studies have proven - only about 50% of people actually ever use gift cards.
I'm great with gift cards, but if it's something I have to print from an email and bring in, forget about it.

Probably no chance this program applies to the $6K TV we bought from them a month ago. Not that the incentive would likely amount to much anyway.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I have never had an issue with bb. Love em!

Quick Reply: Best Buy to announce "Buy Back" program during the Superbowl