Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

Educate me on ~60" flat panal TV's

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Panasonic VT25 series. Go watch one and see what you think. If you like the Kuro, you'll love this.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I would recommend 65" LED Samsung, I've got one in the living room and the size is perfect.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I'm in same boat Al, but for our bedroom. I went to Best Buy the other day, and they had a Panasonic 65" plasma 600mhz TV that was the best looking picture in the store. Hard environment to compare TVs in, obviously, but it was impressive. I think we're gonna get it tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I dont know where you are but if you can get to a best buy with a magnolia area inside they set the store darker so it is easier to compare.

Viewing Quality Comparison Chart
OLED>Plasma>LED>LCD>CRT

This is omitting Rear and Front projection TV's. The O in OLED at the front of the pack is the important portion of that acronym. It stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode.

Sony is the only company that has brought one to market. Panasonic used to work with Pioneer who make the best Plasma display. (regarded as one of the best displays ever) Stick with Sony or Panasonic and you should be good.

Also check the manufacturers websites for if the TV has a 24p pulldown. Movie theaters used 24 frames a second, TV's that have a setting to match typically are high end and look gorgeous.

THX Certified displays also typically are the higher end/nicer looking screens.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the sharp quatron 60" led 240hz and love it!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
I have the sharp quatron 60" led 240hz and love it!!!
Coming from a print background the extra yellow does sound really interesting to me.

OLED is unbelievable to me though. LINK

DuPont says they can print a 50 inch screen in 2 minutes. YES PLEASE!

Yes that did say print, it doesn't have back lights. Please CES, be good.

Pioneer showing up with an OLED? that would be

Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alin2.5
So, local dimming LED LCD>>plasma in the about 60" size?

I figure that the new TV's will be released during CES, so I'll wait. But, I find it hard to evaluate TV's @ the store, but the 58" Panasonic plasma next to a Sony 60" LCD both displaying the Planet Earth blu-ray was not even close with the Panny plasma>>>Sony LCD.
Yes.

Some people will tell you that there's no problem with burn in on plasma, but it's a dead technology, and an energy hog for no good reason.

The SONY LCD this year is non local dimming.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Plasma picture quality is still better than any LCD I have ever seen.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ara
Plasma picture quality is still better than any LCD I have ever seen.
Have you seen any calibrated local dimming ones?

It was between the Kuro and the 81F and I picked the 81F.

At some point, the technology for local dimming will be such that there is one LED element for every pixel. Unless OLED gets there first.

Oh, and most people have living room with lots of lights, and plasma don't do so hot in that environment. My MIL had a Kuro, and it as just not fun during the day.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^I'm going to have to go look for a local dimming LED I guess. However, ambient light for me is not an issue where the new TV is going since it'll be in the basement media room.

Originally Posted by stuka
Some people will tell you that there's no problem with burn in on plasma, but it's a dead technology, and an energy hog for no good reason.
And, since when were you concerned with energy usage?

Next thing you know, we'll be seeing pics of Stuka hugging a tree...

Quick Reply: Educate me on ~60" flat panal TV's