Notices
Ferrari Super Cars Ferrari Enzo, FXX, F50, F40, & More Discussion Forum.

Ferrari Enzo @ 2008 Gumball: The Aftermath Detail

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Ferrari Enzo @ 2008 Gumball: The Aftermath Detail

Those of you that attended this year's Gumball 3000 Tour will remember this Enzo. The client requested to get her back in pre-Gumball condition and repair the front clear film piece. A lot of work went into this Enzo and I hope the passion and technical know-how of working on these Super Cars comes through in this writeup. The Enzo is a modern classic and this process depicts the experience and know-how needed to care for this amazing automobile.

Initial Condition

I think removing all this film took about 2.5 man hours

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-30-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh...Time for a much needed bath.
Zymol Autowash and a GP Australian Wash Mitt were used

After a nice bath, the paint is ready to decontaminate. An interesting facts about this Enzo. The WHOLE exterior paint surface is wrapped in clear film. Zymol Lehm Klay III, Lehm Lube, and einszett Atomizer Sprayer were used. The Zymol Klay is gentle enough not to scratch the film and it's powerful enough to remove stubborn bugs and light contaminants accumulated on the film

This is the lube once the klay has done its purpose. This residue must then be cleaned off prior to polishing. The lube residue contains all the emulsified contaminants not embedded in the klay

Klay BEFORE

Klay AFTER

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-30-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The lube is removed by wiping down the finish with Zymol Detail Spray and GP Polishing Cloth. You can also rinse the lube away and then dry the exterior.

There was a lot polish/wax residue where the seams of the film meet. This took a lot of patience and time to remove. A toothpick and detail spray comes in handy here

Typical polish residue along the lettering. A little surprised to see this from another detailer considering the car being detailed

Zymol HD Cleanse, a mild and natural paint cleanser is applied. We use only microfiber pads, microfiber polishing cloths, and all the work is gently done by hand

Here's why the whole front nose clear film had to be replaced

Once the clear film was removed, you can see the swirls and imperfections underneath

All these scratches and swirls needed to be removed. Some will argue that once the clear film is installed, you won't see these imperfection. Well....if you're going to do something, do it right. Even though the client wouldn't see it, hasn't seen it since the original clear film was installed a few years ago, I want to make sure it's done right and the film is installed on a perfect surface. This is what makes our clear film application unique. Every car we install film on is properly polished to make sure there are no swirls and scratches. Labor of love

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-30-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member

Beginning of the polishing process. This is after one stage of polishing. You can notice that most of the swirls and scratches are eliminated. But there's still a slight haze to the finish and the Rosso Corsa paint isn't quite coming through. Further polishing is needed...on to the next few polishing stages

A LOT of 3M tape is used....cheap insurance policy against overheating the edges of the paint and burning through. I'm told to properly paint an Enzo, it must be taken back to Italy. Not something I want to run through insurance

Patience, nerves of steel, and instinct take over. To this day I'm on edge when polishing each car. THE DANGER ZONE...

The right tools make the job more fun and enjoyable. These little pads are perfect for getting into tight areas

A few hours later, and all the imperfections are removed. There were some areas where the scratches were deeper, but I didn't want to further compromise the original paint and had to pick my battles. I was very happy with the overall result

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-30-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member

After 3 stages on some areas, the paint is almost Glistening. Some hand polishing and a layer of Zymol Vintage is still needed. In the right hands, a tool like the rotary polisher can yield perfection. Just be careful who'se on the other end of that machine. I've seen another Enzo I detail burned on some areas by someone that shouldn't have been working on it. I was told he was polishing for over 4 days. YIKES....

We can NOW install the clear film. The work we did on the front end was all done by hand and the film was custom. Premier did the original install and was on the cutting edge of film application when they wrapped the WHOLE thing

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-30-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Now to the masterpiece....the engine bay on the Enzo takes a lot of work. There are so many surfaces that need their own care. Aluminum is polished, carbon fiber is polish and waxed, rubber surfaces are treated, and the list goes on

You've got to have some acrobatic skills to wedge between the wheels and boot lid to reach the rear of the engine compartment. Zymol Strik, an all-natural citrus cleaner, was used to clean all the dirt off. Aluminum surfaces were polished using Zymol Metall, a safe and natural metal cleanser

Engine cover was polished using Zymol HD-Cleanse and waxed using Zymol Field Glaze, a liquid carnauba wax

Glass and Lexan was cleaned using Meguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner

Interior was vacummed, cleaned, and all surfaces were conditioned. The leather was cleaned using Autoglym Interior Shampoo and conditioned using Zymol Treat, an all-natural leather conditioner. The leather surfaces should have a subtle satin look, no shine. If you guys could only smell the natural Ferrari hide and the carbo fiber....ORGASMIC

Carbon fiber surfaces polished using Zymol HD-Cleanse

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-30-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Final Result

It took about 2 days to complete this car. I love working on this car

Ferrari did an awsome jon on this paint. The reflection and little orange peel is amazing

Jon doing final polishing of the glass

A lot of hard work went into this Enzo. Now you guys can see a simple wash would not do these cars justice. A detail spray wipe-down would be an insult. An Enzo needs a skilled hand, world-class products, passion, and respect. These cars weren;t build on a major assembly line by robots. Months of hard work by other skilled craftsman went into hand-building each Enzo. I'm fortunate and blessed enough to have the honor of working on these cherished automobiles. This is something we hold dear and don't take lightly at Glistening Perfection. I hope you guys enjoy this write-up as much as I have writting it. Thanks for allowing me to share my passion

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-30-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Great writeup and nice to see some comments to all these steps Moe, Repped!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
nice writeup Moe.
btw. what cam do you use?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, excellent write up and work performed

Quick Reply: Ferrari Enzo @ 2008 Gumball: The Aftermath Detail