Notices
Ferrari GT Ferrari F12berlinetta, 612, 599, California, 575, & More Discussion Forum.

Buying a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Buying a Ferrari

I posted this on another (Ferrari) forum, but there's probably just as many experienced Ferrari owners here to give me some insight.

I'm looking around for a California (possibly a little older 599). My experiences with Ferrari's is that they tend to be incredibly personalized (from the factory) or relatively basic in terms of options. But what I'm struggling with and could get some thoughts on are:

1) Buying from a Ferrari Dealer vs Private Pre-Owned business
2) Buying from remote dealer/individual seller

First of all, I tend to believe that you are usually much better served working with a Ferrari dealer to purchase based on the idea that the vehicle is probably more properly inspected, maintained with the corresponding dealer service and dealership relationships. But, you can also find some pretty good prices when dealing some some of the smaller high-end dealers that focus pre-owned cars. Any thoughts of purchasing from one or another?

Secondly: These are not cars that are necessarily easy to come across in my local market. What is your perspective of finding a car (anywhere in the US) and purchasing remotely as opposed to working with local dealer to help you find a car (either in inventory or dealer-dealer purchase).

Thanks for all input. Been thinking about moving from my Porsche addiction to a Ferrari. Driven a few 430s, Cali's, and wanting to drive a 599 as a reference point. Given my equal addiction to golf: I need a trunk...so the mid-engine cars don't work as well for me. And I think I'd prefer a 'smoother' ride so my wife won't be in my ear all the time about how rough the ride is...

Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
white rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried talking to guys at RAC Performance in Carrollton? They deal and service Ferrari, Lambos and Porsche. Very trustworthy bunch of guys and also very knowlegable about the vehicles they sell/service. RAC used to be RUF Auto Centre (board sponsor). They will also consign your car for you.

Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini - Parts, Service, Upgrades & Used Car Sales - RAC Performance, Dallas, Texas

Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
If you want a 599 get your options and color selection lined up first then track down the car and evaluate each car as an individual. I have seen dealer cars that I would not touch with a 10 foot pole, and PP cars that were better then anything I ever saw at a dealer. It's a little hit and miss around this type of cash.

Shipping is rarely a deal breaker on a car like this. At this price point I would fly out for a car that I liked or at least try and roll a business trip into the area. If you are worried about how your wife will like it you really need to test drive one.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by white rock
Have you tried talking to guys at RAC Performance in Carrollton? They deal and service Ferrari, Lambos and Porsche. Very trustworthy bunch of guys and also very knowlegable about the vehicles they sell/service. RAC used to be RUF Auto Centre (board sponsor). They will also consign your car for you.

Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini - Parts, Service, Upgrades & Used Car Sales - RAC Performance, Dallas, Texas
I've meant to head out there for a while, but haven't made it by yet. They do seem to get a fair amount of F-Cars through their inventory.

Originally Posted by Wearymicrobe
If you want a 599 get your options and color selection lined up first then track down the car and evaluate each car as an individual. I have seen dealer cars that I would not touch with a 10 foot pole, and PP cars that were better then anything I ever saw at a dealer. It's a little hit and miss around this type of cash.

Shipping is rarely a deal breaker on a car like this. At this price point I would fly out for a car that I liked or at least try and roll a business trip into the area. If you are worried about how your wife will like it you really need to test drive one.
You're probably right. I travel every couple of weeks and probably should get in touch with dealers beforehand and make time to visit.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
At that price point, the Scud would be top on my list of Ferrari's. All that you mentioned are nice, but a ferrari is about the raw and visceral experience that a Scud will give you everytime. Keep the golf clubs and wife in the Hyundai, by the way you should be banned for driving a Hyundai.
They are 40% faster, stiffer and louder then the 430; most importantly they are 100% funner. Remember your in your addiction, no need to be practical.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I know...I know...how can you have a Ferrari sharing a garage with a HYUNDAI!?!? All I can say is the Hyundai allows me to 'afford' my other stuff. And as far as keeping the clubs away from the Ferrari: my early morning saturday drives to the course are usually my most enjoyable in the Porsche given the route I take and the fact that no one other than me (and the Po-Po) are out at 5AM on a weekend morning.

The Scud is the $h*t, and I know would be much more fun to drive hard, but I want/need something to drive more often that still sounds like an italian motor symphony...whether it be driven hard on the back roads or (not as) hard to drop the kiddo off at school.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I know...I know...how can you have a Ferrari sharing a garage with a HYUNDAI!?!? All I can say is the Hyundai allows me to 'afford' my other stuff. And as far as keeping the clubs away from the Ferrari: my early morning saturday drives to the course are usually my most enjoyable in the Porsche given the route I take and the fact that no one other than me (and the Po-Po) are out at 5AM on a weekend morning.

The Scud is the $h*t, and I know would be much more fun to drive hard, but I want/need something to drive more often that still sounds like an italian motor symphony...whether it be driven hard on the back roads or (not as) hard to drop the kiddo off at school.
599 for sure, Cali is a toy 599 is a 12 cylinder proper F car.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
I understand.
Agree about the 599, if not the Scud....then 599 for sure. I really love the way they look, especially in a dark red (wine red).

Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I've meant to head out there for a while, but haven't made it by yet. They do seem to get a fair amount of F-Cars through their inventory.

You're probably right. I travel every couple of weeks and probably should get in touch with dealers beforehand and make time to visit.

The reason that I say you need to drive one is the two that I have driven very jittery. I am not up on all the nomenclature or suspension updates that they did over the years but my wife would have found it unacceptable.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
If it were me I would buy a 575 Maranello Superamerica.

Quick Reply: Buying a Ferrari