Notices
Ferrari GT Ferrari F12berlinetta, 612, 599, California, 575, & More Discussion Forum.

EVO: Ferrari 599 GTO Video Review by Chris Harris

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Teamspeed Member
m7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished road
Arrow EVO: Ferrari 599 GTO Video Review by Chris Harris

YouTube - Ferrari 599 GTO video review - road

Good review!

Ferrari 599 GTO supercar video review | evo

What is it?
The 599 GTO. A £299,280 version of the 599 – built mainly for track use, but according to Ferrari, perfectly useable on the road. It has 661bhp (50bhp up on the GTB) and it weighs around 100kg less than the standard car. Just about every major component has been altered in some way – in fact this car is mechanically more closely related to the track-only 599XX than the GTB. It’s the fastest, most powerful road-going Ferrari ever made.

Technical highlights.
Not enough space here, I’m afraid. The big V12 has superfinished cam lobes, DLC coating on the tappets, the intake is completely new, the exhaust is superformed (no welds, so lighter) and compression goes from 11.2 to 11.9. It’ll rev to 8400rpm. Gearshift times on the F1 ‘box drop to 60 milliseconds.

The car uses a much wider front track with a 275 section tyre (it used to be a 245). The chassis is completely revised in terms of springs and dampers – especially the latter which are second gen Skyhook items that relay real-time information as opposed to an approximation. It’s 1sec faster around Fiorano than any other Ferrari.

What’s it like to drive?

Quite lively, and noisy. The project’s main aim was to reduce understeer, and it certainly works – on track it has far more front axle grip than a GTB. It’s less forgiving though: set-up for ultimate lap-time, it punishes indecisive or clumsy inputs. The traction and stability systems are supreme on track, almost certainly the fastest way to drive the car. Strangely, it doesn’t actually feel that much quicker in a straight line than a GTB because the engine is now working in a chassis that can cope with the power. The great pitching, yawing episodes are gone. The new CCM2 carbon ceramic brakes now have ceramic pads – they’re very, very powerful.
On the road it’s obviously quite harsh, but nothing like as extreme as I’d expected. The ride’s firm but not uncomfortable. The cabin has all the creature comforts (although the air-con struggled in hot temperatures). Clearly it’s impossible to use anything more than a fraction of its performance, and the noise is so extreme people can hear you for miles.

My only gripe is the lack of traction even on mildly poor surfaces. On a smooth circuit it’s fine, but on the same road that a 458 could use everything in second gear, the GTO either moves into pretty terrifying oversteer or, if they’re activated, the systems strangle the throttle. Then again, it does have 661bhp, so something has to give. The brakes really grumble at times and judging them at low speed can be tricky.

How does it compare?
Until we drive a GT2 RS, I can’t say. It’s much, much more competent than a GTB and makes the HGTE pack seem a little pointless to my eyes. Its closest rival is probably the Lambo LP670-4 SV.

Anything else I need to know?

There will only be 599, and Ferrari says they’re all sold (although we’re not so sure about that). You can have any number of colour combinations. It’s a car happiest on-track, but perfectly useable on-road. But it’s the speed around Fiorano that sticks with you – the GTO is just so damn fast.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Ferrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond repute
Chris's reviews are by far the most enjoyable, not to much fluff and you get all the details you need/want!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Such a sick car, but I still would rather the GT2 rs

Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Terrific car, its bonkers just wished this was the 599 GTB I think the 599GTB is too comfortable and not as racy as it should look and act. I think the 599 is in the top of the list for me, its a terrific car for this price I would go for an HGTE because its in the middle and not as hard to get as the GTO which is only 599 quantity which i believe are all called for.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Teamspeed Member
m7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished road
Yes they are all sold, and I think it is worse for the GT2 RS. In few years you are lucky to find a 997 turbo S.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
Such a sick car, but I still would rather the GT2 rs
I really don't know why, but I agree. Chris Harris can f***ing drive though

Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I want Chris Harris' job so bad.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m7mmed MD
Yes they are all sold, and I think it is worse for the GT2 RS. In few years you are lucky to find a 997 turbo S.
The dealership by me is willing to sell a build spot for 150k over sticker......yikes! Can't wait till people start getting these cars, Need more pics and vids!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
I really don't know why,
I can't explain it. I love turbos, love the interior, love the carbon fiber parts on the exterior (I blame the fast and the furious for that). The widow maker on steroids.
YouTube - The new 911 GT2 RS: Awe.

I think when Chris gets his hands on it, people will start to come around more.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 AM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
Great review by Chris/EVO mag. Always enjoy his work. Man, what a car! Would be a dream to have one in my garage.

Quick Reply: EVO: Ferrari 599 GTO Video Review by Chris Harris