Notices
Diablo | Countach The Modern Day Classic Lamborghini Discussion Forum.

Comparing the Countaches by Inside Line!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Comparing the Countaches by Inside Line!

Comparing the Countaches
Inside Line has Valentino Balboni Pick His Favorite
You may remember the Lamborghini Countach. Often hailed for single-handedly jump-starting the poster industry more than 25 years ago, it's also one of the most misunderstood supercars of all time.

It's often lambasted by those who have never driven one and dismissed as a toy for poseurs during a midlife crisis. But this Lamborghini's time has finally come. Its place in history as the ultimate high-performance car of its era is now secure.

The Countach lived a long life, remaining in production from 1974-'90 through some very tough years at Lamborghini. But its appeal as the ultimate fantasy car remained undimmed. You can't help but admire a model created with just two very clear aims: to go faster than all others, and keep Ferrari out of the spotlight.

The Debut
Rolling out the original Lamborghini LP500 prototype at the Geneva auto salon in March 1971 might have seemed premature, especially since it shared the limelight with the Miura SV. Although the LP500's transition to production car was far from assured when it was built at Bertone's studios in Turin, the amazing styling and avant-garde mechanical layout assured that potential buyers would be clamoring for the new sports car.

New Chief Engineer Paolo Stanzani decided to improve on the Miura's flawed weight distribution by mounting the LP500's engine longitudinally and then placing the gearbox between the front seats. This was a brilliant reversal of conventional thinking, and meant that the prototype was shorter in wheelbase and length than the Miura.

It was nominally more powerful, too, with a claimed 440 horses, though, of course, it didn't matter whether that figure was true or not. This was a showcar, and it needed big numbers to match its amazing Gandini-penned styling.
Follow for the full story and images!! -> INSIDE LINE

Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
thread of GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MattFalcon is on a distinguished roadMattFalcon is on a distinguished road
Hey, in that last photo, of the man driving, I think the speedo is broke. The Tach is up, and I guess that's still 1st gear (does the right hand drive have same shift pattern??), so either he's moving, with a broke speedo, or he's just sitting still revving the engine.

But parts breaking are another Countach legacy. They weren't reliable at all. I had an 84 model a few years back, and would have to clean the carbs before every drive. I'd plan drives around whether or not it would be a good day for the car.

But I loved it. Love Love Loved it. And hey, what car built in 1984 wouldn't have some issues today?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
eXpensiveGears is an unknown quantity at this point
The car in the poster in most of our boyhood dreams.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Teamspeed Member
HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I absolutely love the Countach. Must. Buy. One. Now.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by McRae
thread of GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol!!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome writeup! I vote broken speedo! lol.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Chubster You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by MattFalcon
Hey, in that last photo, of the man driving,
Either, The Man or Valentino Balboni

Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Gawd I remember those posters. And the first time I got to drive one. AWESOME.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Nath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to all
great article, i needed some education on the countaches
after reading the article i know that black/red 5000QV with gold rims would be my choice

Quick Reply: Comparing the Countaches by Inside Line!